Lets face it, I'm a PR guy...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

There are days I can't tell ebony from Holly. I'm trying to learn my wood species but the odds are against me at the moment. I procured this peice of wood some time ago in either a blank trade or as an extra in an order and can't remember who I got it from. I believe it's a type of walnut but otherwise I'm clueless.The small peice in the picture is all I have left. The wood turned very easily and is VERY light. Any help would be appreciated! CA finish MM to 12000, buffed and polished with PlastX. Thanks for looking and for any comments.

Attachments

• 100_7275.jpg
    100_7275.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_7282.jpg
    100_7282.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_7283.jpg
    100_7283.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_7290.jpg
    100_7290.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

The fourth photo with the leftover piece doesn't look like walnut to me.
Appears the blank has greens, reds, yellows and the large grain pattern suggest something
along the lines of camphor, myrtlewood, or maybe even sycamore.
Hard to say.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The fourth photo with the leftover piece doesn't look like walnut to me.
Appears the blank has greens, reds, yellows and the large grain pattern suggest something
along the lines of camphor, myrtlewood, or maybe even sycamore.
Hard to say.
Just to argue,:biggrin: I have black walnut with all those characteristics, I'll try and find it to post a pic for comparisons.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Black Walnut crotch looks just like the cutoff piece and the finished pen. In the crotch you get a mixture of sapwood and heartwood which gives it all those neat colors. I have a couple of slabs of it in my shop.

Looks like walnut to me (maybe mine) didn't you order from me a while back?Was the ends dipped in wax?It is very pretty regardless of what it is I like it.Thanks for sharing,Victor

Brooks803

Looks like walnut to me (maybe mine) didn't you order from me a while back?Was the ends dipped in wax?It is very pretty regardless of what it is I like it.Thanks for sharing,Victor

The ends were not dipped in wax. For those saying camphor, from what I remember that stuff is sopposed to smell like vapor rub when tured and this did not have anything like that. It did have a nice smell but nothing like that. It does have several different colors in the pen and blank, thats what got my head scratching started:confused:. Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Russianwolf

The ends were not dipped in wax. For those saying camphor, from what I remember that stuff is sopposed to smell like vapor rub when tured and this did not have anything like that. It did have a nice smell but nothing like that. It does have several different colors in the pen and blank, thats what got my head scratching started:confused:. Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Walnut with a pleasant smell, never experienced that. Camphor is also called Cinnamon.

GaryMGg

Walnut has an earthy smell. That being said, I love the smell of walnut. Maybe that's strange, but I could mill walnut all day long just to drink in the aroma.
Curtis, I can see what you're saying -- if it's a crotch; especially if it's air-dried rather than steam kiln-dried.

ldb2000

I have some Claro Walnut that's supposed to be burl (I think some crotch wood though) that looks just like that when it is finished and the little piece in blank form .
You say it is very light , in weight ? then that would leave out walnut which is normally heavier in weight .

Last edited:
Top Bottom