H2O

All ears.

Attachments

• Pen v1.jpg
    Pen v1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 522
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

I stopped by and showed this to my insurance agent and he would like to buy it. However, I have no idea how much to charge for it. I never anticipated selling any.:redface:

D.Oliver

Love that blank. Is it something you poured? Congrats on your sale. I wouldn't let it go for less than $75.

Ed McDonnell

I stopped by and showed this to my insurance agent and he would like to buy it. However, I have no idea how much to charge for it. I never anticipated selling any.:redface:

$250. If he balks at the price then you end up where you originally expected to be. Not selling pens. If he does buy it then maybe that's enough to make it worth your while.

Ed

H2O

Love that blank. Is it something you poured? Congrats on your sale. I wouldn't let it go for less than $75.

I thought $50 would recover costs and a little for time. Like mentioned, I have no idea how to price one of these. I might try the $75 and see what happens.

$250. If he balks at the price then you end up where you originally expected to be. Not selling pens. If he does buy it then maybe that's enough to make it worth your while.

Ed

Wow! Really? I don't think most people would pay that much for a pen. You have to keep in mind, I'm not a professional pen maker and definitely not a salesman. I don't know if I could keep a straight face asking that much. Have you been successful asking those prices?

Ed McDonnell

Wow! Really? I don't think most people would pay that much for a pen. You have to keep in mind, I'm not a professional pen maker and definitely not a salesman. I don't know if I could keep a straight face asking that much. Have you been successful asking those prices?

Most people won't pay more than a buck for a pen and lots of people won't pay anything ("free" pens are everywhere). But that's not really relevant.

If you can't believe in the price then your prospective customers won't either. You aren't offering a substitute for a mass produced disposable pen from Walmart. You are offering a one of a kind work of functional art. It should be priced accordingly.

I have sold pens for thousands of dollars. But what I'm selling is a little bit different than what you are selling, so that probably doesn't help. There was also a time when I sold thousands of pens for $25. It all depends on what your objectives are. Only you can decide why you are selling your pen and what price you are comfortable charging.

Good luck.

Ed

Who would be using a pen he got free at a hotel or somewhere if he didn't make pens.....

H2O

Most people won't pay more than a buck for a pen and lots of people won't pay anything ("free" pens are everywhere). But that's not really relevant.

If you can't believe in the price then your prospective customers won't either. You aren't offering a substitute for a mass produced disposable pen from Walmart. You are offering a one of a kind work of functional art. It should be priced accordingly.

I have sold pens for thousands of dollars. But what I'm selling is a little bit different than what you are selling, so that probably doesn't help. There was also a time when I sold thousands of pens for $25. It all depends on what your objectives are. Only you can decide why you are selling your pen and what price you are comfortable charging.

Good luck.

Ed

Who would be using a pen he got free at a hotel or somewhere if he didn't make pens.....

Would you consider sharing some pictures of the pens you've sold for thousands? I would like to see what you make and can sell for that much. I realize that you may not want to share your pictures if pens are your livelihood. If you prefer, you can send them to me privately. I truly am interested.

D.Oliver

I might pay $250 for a pen but it would have to come from a reputable name....like parklandturner.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Hi Dan - If you have been following the forums yesterday and today then you have already seen a multi-thousand dollar pen posted by RichL (Slipstream Chicane).

If you are really interested in seeing more examples of what kind of pen people will pay thousands of dollars for, then pick up a copy of Pen World (a subscription is even better). Plenty of them in every issue.

You will also see examples of more reasonably priced (it's all relative) functional art for sale by others that post here. There may be a lot more people selling pens for hundreds of dollars than you realize.

That all said, there is nothing wrong with selling handmade pens for $25 (in my opinion). Whatever works for you.

Ed

H2O

Hi Dan - If you have been following the forums yesterday and today then you have already seen a multi-thousand dollar pen posted by RichL (Slipstream Chicane).

If you are really interested in seeing more examples of what kind of pen people will pay thousands of dollars for, then pick up a copy of Pen World (a subscription is even better). Plenty of them in every issue.

You will also see examples of more reasonably priced (it's all relative) functional art for sale by others that post here. There may be a lot more people selling pens for hundreds of dollars than you realize.

That all said, there is nothing wrong with selling handmade pens for $25 (in my opinion). Whatever works for you.

Ed

OK. I looked at the pen and I can understand a higher price for solid silver. Also being completely made by Rich with those MOP inlays certainly raises the value. That is far beyond my ability and I wouldn't begin to know where to start.
If this is where you're at, I commend you. It has to require time and patience.
I've not heard of that magazine, but I will check into it. Thanks for the tip.

JohnU

I think I would hit him up for at least $125.00 It's a one of a kind and he obviously likes it. If he's bought custom made pens before he knows the price can be higher than Walmart and if he wants it, he'll pay it. Don't short yourself. It's more than just a blank and components. Its your time, talent and creation. Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom