Lessons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dfurlano

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurlano

Well every pen I have made so far I have been taught a lesson. Which I guess is good but somewhat painful. So I thought I would share my wisdom (hows that for spin) with everyone and at least feel I making progress. So here goes:

This Cigar pen was a lesson in what happens when you mandrel is not turning true. Although hard to see I had to remount the blanks and true up the mandrel. Lesson #1 - I now use a dial indicator with a magnetic base and check the run out each time I turn a pen.

Attempt at segmenting. Made a simple design and thought that I would make the top finial. Lesson #2 - If you are going to make a wood finial don't forget to consider how the clip will be mounted. I CA'ed the post to the screw that holds the finial which the clip mounts between.

This pencil was made with a resin blank from PSI. Turning resin blanks is a long process that I need to figure out how to shorten. Anyhow I wanted to thin the area where you grip the pencil down. Lesson #3 - When working with a resin consider how translucent the material is before you turn. The grip area suffers from a copper highlight from the brass tube.

Last pencil was this comfort pen without the rubber grip. This was my first shot at a home brew EPR. Had fun making the resin and turning the pen. Lesson #4 - Not sure how I did this but the top of the pencil is not the correct diameter. In fact I think I have the front and rear barrel backwards. The bushing on the comfort grip end is a larger diameter than what I needed and normally you would cut that end off. So I need to take this apart and re-turn the end.

Thats what I got so far. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Dan,
It looks to me like you learned all the same lessons that I learned! Keep up the good work and learn from every pen you make.

Mikey

Most look really nice. In fact, even the pen where the copper is visable looks fine bacause of the color of the acrylic.

I wish I only had to measure runout on my chucks with a dial indicator. For some odd reason, my mandrels start out straight when I turn the lathe on, but then start wobbling as soon as I touch the wood with my tools. I have to turn it on and off a bunch of times just to get things straight.

ryannmphs

Dan,
They look good. Thanks for posting your "lessons learned"

One thing I do to help the run out is when I get close to the final diameter of the pen. I stop the lathe, loosen the blank on the mandrel and rotate each blank about 90 degrees. Make sure the bushings do not rotate. I then turn until round again (not an issue with some of my mandrels) and repeat the rotation 1 or 2 more times.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom