Lesson on Reverse Painting Blanks. Thanks Brooks803!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

Recently, Jonathon (aka Brooks803) showed a pen that he made from one of his custom castings. When I saw it, I thought it would be great for a pen for my mom for mother's day. So I ordered a few of the blanks (along with a few others).

Here's the link to Jonathon's Pua Shell Pen.

When I 1st looked closely at the pinkish blank I received, I thought . . . . "hmmmm . . . . Is this the right blank?:confused:" Then I re-read his post saying he reversed painted his blank black. He also told me that my blanks had more clear than the one he used. He told me to reverse paint the blank, paint the tube, and tint the epoxy. I'm glad I listened. Although I painted mine dark blue. (Testors 1111). Being relatively new to pen making, I really learned a lot from doing this pen. Even though I had reversed painted a few blanks, I'd never gone with a color that wasn't in the blank itself. Plus I'd never done one this transparent (and it is really transparent in places). You really can't tell from the 1st photo because of the white background. I think I'm going to try a few other colors on the remaining blank & short blank that I have left. If I get anything interesting, I'll followup in this thread.

The 1st photo shows the rounded blank next to the blank I reversed painted.
puashell.jpg

And the pen is a Sierra for my mom for Mother's Day. Sorry for the bad photos. I really can't do a pen justice with a camera. I even took some outside this morning, but they are no better. However, I will say that this blank seems to be alive. The light pearl blue really seems to move, and seems much deeper than it really is. Jonathon is really a master with this stuff. Thanks for your help!!
Momspen2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Wow, what a difference! It's a really beautiful pen. Did you use the same color on the blank, tube and epoxy?

BSea

Wow, what a difference! It's a really beautiful pen. Did you use the same color on the blank, tube and epoxy?
I spray painted the tube, but it was dark blue also. So I guess the short answer is yes, although it was probably just a little lighter than the testors blue.

ghostrider

Thanks for the write up, and pics. Nice pen also.

As a newbie myself, I'm like seeing threads like this that describe and show how a certain effect is gained. Very educational.

MartinPens

You can try different color tubes to see different effects (prior to reverse painting the blank of course) : )
Great pen!!

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

IPD_Mr

I do not remember who, or where I saw it, but someone had a dowel that was painted different colors the length of the dowel. About every 2-1/2" the color changed. This made a great tool to determine what color they wanted to reverse pain the blank. They would turn the blank down and slide the dowel through the blank to see the different effects of the colors. This was of course done before the tube was glued in place. :tongue: It was a really cool idea and I am sorry I do not recall who did it so that I could give proper credit.

BSea

I do not remember who, or where I saw it, but someone had a dowel that was painted different colors the length of the dowel. About every 2-1/2" the color changed. This made a great tool to determine what color they wanted to reverse pain the blank. They would turn the blank down and slide the dowel through the blank to see the different effects of the colors. This was of course done before the tube was glued in place. :tongue: It was a really cool idea and I am sorry I do not recall who did it so that I could give proper credit.
I read that recently, and thought that it was a good idea. Of course I didn't do it.:) But I still think it's a good idea.

But there is nothing like actually doing something new yourself and learn 1st hand. Well, not new, but new to me. It's kinda like doing your 1st pen. You look at the tutorials, youtube videos, read tons of post, but until you actually have a pen that you put together yourself, you don't really know what to expect. And for me, this was something new, with results I never would have expected when I 1st saw the blank.

EDIT: Here's the thread showing the multi-colored dowel.

Last edited:

Brooks803

I think your Mother will love it Bob! Painting with the blue did subdue the pink enough not to overpower it. It's nearly impossible to get a "justice" photo of those blanks bc they dance so much in the light. I say you did a job well done. Can't wait to see how the other blanks turn out.

IPD_Mr

Bob - Thanks for finding the thread. Guess I must be getting old, as I thought that the thread was newer than that.

Public Service Announcemnt :biggrin:

If you find yourself working more and more with blanks such as Jonathan's or blanks that are translucent, this would be a great tool to have.

Top Bottom