A lesson in futility

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jon-wx5nco

Jon-wx5nco

Last night I made, what I will call, a "working mans cigar pen". It was a lesson that I don't wish to repeat. The lower part is made from a wore out pair of Wranglers. The top part is made out of an old white dress shirt. I glued the material to the tubes, liberally soaked them both in thin CA. I let them sit and dry for about an hour. When I went to turn them, the layers came off in shreds. I wound up having to turn them down with 150 grit sand paper. Where the blue jean material meets up with the CB is about 1/16th or so proud of the band. I was mentally at a point to where that would have to do. I was afraid if I spent any more time on that part, it would tear -or- shred off another layer.

The reason for this pen is for me to have a pen when I am out in the shop working. I'd hate to get one of my 'good' pens messed up.

Any comments, suggestions, laughs, and all are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking
Jon

workingmanscigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

That bluejean thing is something I never had work correctly. Hey, you got the whole kit this time at least ;)

Jon-wx5nco

That bluejean thing is something I never had work correctly. Hey, you got the whole kit this time at least ;)
ROFLMAO!! Yes I do. You know, I was about to PM you. I never did find that "washer" out of the Osage Orange pen. I looked all over the workbench and the floor. :confused::confused:

Dudley Young

A lot of frustration for a shop pen. I use magic markers & pencils. If ya want to use a pen in the shop, just go steal one from the Dr.'s office. they get them free from the pharmaceutical Co's. LOL

Jon-wx5nco

A lot of frustration for a shop pen. I use magic markers & pencils. If ya want to use a pen in the shop, just go steal one from the Dr.'s office. they get them free from the pharmaceutical Co's. LOL

Your right there! For those that know me, I have ADD and OCD. When my ADD kickes in, I need something to do. Then my OCD kicks in.. and... well, sometimes its not fun being me :rotfl::RockOn:

bitshird

Now lets sing a little bit of Merel Haggard's Workin Mans Blues, Great pen cool idea and a lot of frustration I'll bet, but I sure like the Idea

1080Wayne

You have discovered why blue jean pens should not be sold cheaply . I am definitely not an expert on them , but I think a large part of your problem was not allowing the CA to cure . With the amount needed to soak up blue jeans , it probably should sit at least a week , if not two .

mick

Jon I can't tell from your pic how you wrapped the denim but I found that if you rip it in very narrow strips and wrap it very tightly opposite the rotation of the lathe soaking with ca every couple of layers you won't have nearthe tear outs. DAMHIKT

BTW even with all the problems you still finished it....thta's what counts!

ToddMR

Nice job on it. I probably would have grabbed my mini-sledge and smashed the darn thing lol. So you getting as far as you did is just great. Even with the proud area of the cb, I think it still looks like a nice pen man. Good job from where I am sitting to say the least.

Jon-wx5nco

The way to do it is stack layers with PR spread between them then clamp it in a press.The stacked layers actually give the pen a grain to it.Its much more work then wrapping them but looks ten times better.Check out my Ebay ad.Good luck,Victor
http://cgi.ebay.com/Real-Blue-Jean-...842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cab3f2c72

That is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing. I had many PM's with Skye yesterday and as soon as I can, I will be joining the home made PR blank world

Top Bottom