Leopard vs Snake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

Status
Not open for further replies.

broitblat

I turned this Leopardwood pen today. I really like the wood and think it has a lot of similararity to Snakewood (hopefully with less a risk of splitting).

20061211458_Leopards%20and%20Snakes.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Sure looks like snakewood to me. Doesn't look anything at all like the Leopardwood I just got from BB. Nice job on it anyway.

chitswood

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />If you PAID for leopardwood, and GOT snakewood, just call it a MIRACLE pen!
Lol[:D]

Yeah thats snakewood, leopardwood and snakewood seem to share each other's name, though I rarely see snakewood get called leopardwood, and I often see leopardwood getting called snakewood.

Looks like you did a good job, what did you think of the wood?

Rifleman1776

I just did a quick Google, here is one response I found:
http://www.internetlumber.com/Home/leopardwood.aspx

They are the same. And, with all the problems posted, I swore to never make a Snakewood pen. Recently made a Jr. Gent II from "Leopardwood". [:0] Oh, well.
I'll call the art gallery where it is being offered for sale and ask to have it inspected for cracks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have, in the past, purchased "leopardwood" that looked a lot like lacewood, but with more figure and the price was in the $5 per board foot neighborhood.

Wouldn't be the first time I was told something that was not accurate, but that's the impetus of my comments above.[:D][:D]

Edit in: Quick clarification, the "Leopardwood" I purchased was NOT from anyone here - long ago, done on-line.

BigRob777

Hi Barry,

So many companies use lacewood and leopardwood interchangeably, but they aren't the same. This does look like snakewood and nothing like the leopardwood that I've seen. Looks like you got blessed.
Rob (aka figuredwoods)

EDIT IN: If it were leopardwood, it wouldn't have the spots wrapping around the round of the barrel. I believe the spots in LW are just big fat rays.

gerryr

Frank, I have to disagree with you and Internet Lumber Company that Leopardwood and Snakewood are the same wood. Leopardwood is roupala braziliensis and Snakewood is piratinera guianensis. "Snakewood" may be nothing more than a local name for it, but it isn't what we call snakewood.

mick

I've turned both Snakewood and Leopard wood...as well as Lacewood(might as well throw it in too) and while Leopardwood and Lacewood share a lot of characteristics, density and weight come to mind. Snakewood is nothing like either of them. It's much more dense and hence heavier. IMHO That looks like every piece of snakewood I've ever turned!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />"Snakewood" may be nothing more than a local name for it, but it isn't what we call snakewood.

That's the problem with using common names. There's also an Australian snakewood (Acacia xiphophylla) which is different than either of these. And don't get started on ironwood. There must be a dozen or more. [8D]

broitblat

All,

Thanks for the input. This blank was with another that were both labeled leopardwood, but when I go back I see that the other doesn't look anything like this (the other one looks more like lacewood as others have suggested).

I really like the looks of this wood, but I didn't take any of the precautions normally suggested for snakewood, so we'll have to see what it looks like a few weeks hence. I hope it holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom