Lengthwise segment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

167016_133354326724641_100001502242963_197436_4630299_n.jpg

I think this is white oak and walnut. I was inspired by a couple of pens that were shown with other materials. I forget the posted them. I used 4 coats of thin CA and 5 or 6 coats of Medium CA. Ran into a few issues with usinf unfamiliar equipment, but nothing major. Dad made the blank for me after I described what I wanted to do. Pretty happy with the result.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Sweet looking pen, I like how the lines are defined against each other and narrow. I did one more or less like this last week with Walnut, Spalted Maple, and Birdseye. See my gallery link below for the images. Awesome looking pen

Drstrangefart

Could be , but I would have guessed maple and mahogany .

I think this is white oak and walnut.

Mahogany could be it, too. The blanks were filed a while before Dad started writing the names of the wood on all of the blanks. They sat undisturbed for a while. The light stuff IS white oak. I can recognize the open grain on that one pretty easily. Nothing else I've hit with a tool has the grain of oak.

PenPal

Allan,

I too noted your Dads tapering of the contrasting wood, most successful way I have seen and
very subtle blending of colour. Well made and seen this is where excessive grain is not needed to create impact and interest.

Regards Peter.

Drstrangefart

Allan,

I too noted your Dads tapering of the contrasting wood, most successful way I have seen and
very subtle blending of colour. Well made and seen this is where excessive grain is not needed to create impact and interest.

Regards Peter.

I asked him if he thought we could pull it off, and he delivered. The taper NEEDS to have the drilling done perfectly on center. Found that out. I wanted to do it with acrylics, but that's a few bucks lost if it fails miserably. We picked out the best contrast we could find without being garish.

Last edited:

ctubbs

Good job Allen. Fine timber blank and the fit and finish is good also. That is one fine looking pen. Congratulations to you and your dad.
Charles

Drstrangefart

I will say that a thin-kerf blade on a good table saw makes this kind of segmenting a relatively painless process. Just gotta figure out how to do this kind of work in my shop with seriously basic power tools.

Drstrangefart

Those are both nice looking blanks... what is the material with the yellow in the second one though?

It's a material called Colorply. It's the rainbow variant. Stuff is EXPENSIVE. Also, I believe no longer in production. We figured out it looks insanely awesome as an inlay, but as an entire pen it loses a little of its edge. They do have other color combinations still for sale, though.

Those are both nice looking blanks... what is the material with the yellow in the second one though?

It's a material called Colorply. It's the rainbow variant. Stuff is EXPENSIVE. Also, I believe no longer in production. We figured out it looks insanely awesome as an inlay, but as an entire pen it loses a little of its edge. They do have other color combinations still for sale, though.

OK... I was thinking it was one of those dyed ply board products, but I'd never seen it used as an inlay before so I wasn't sure. I think you are right about it making a better looking inlay than an actual turned anything.

Drstrangefart

58337_106241689435905_100001502242963_48170_3173396_n.jpg

There's an entire pen made out of ColrPly. We had no clue at that point just how hard that stuff was to get. But, it still doesn't look bad. Used a Slimline kit for it.

Top Bottom