Lemon Chiffon Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from winpooh498

winpooh498

Black Titanium Statesman, Lou's SF Med. nib, Exoticblanks.com Lemon Chiffon Bakelite and LOTS of prayers!
I don't think I have ever been as nervous turning a blank as I was this one.
Thanks for looking and all comments good bad or indifferent. Suggestions on Photos is ALWAYS welcome.

Bakeliteclosed.jpg

Bakeliteopen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

I love yellow, and that's probably the prettiest yellow pen I've ever seen! That one won't last long...

Dale

mrburls

Very nice job on pen Dawn. Did you paint inside of barrel after drilling or paint tubes? If so what color did you use?
Great photo too.

Keith "mrburls"

winpooh498

Thanks for all of the comments.

I wouldn't say that it is hard to turn. I was able to get very fine powdery ribbons. We did move our sharpener by my lathe and I would make a few passes then sharpen my skew. I was worried about heat so I switched back and forth between 2 different skews and kept them both very sharp.

We painted both the blank and tubes white, then used CA. The blanks are transparent enough that we can see the paint and the ripples of the glue, but it also looks like that is the way the material is supposed to look like.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
GREAT technique IMO

Thanks for all of the comments.

I wouldn't say that it is hard to turn. I was able to get very fine powdery ribbons. We did move our sharpener by my lathe and I would make a few passes then sharpen my skew. I was worried about heat so I switched back and forth between 2 different skews and kept them both very sharp.

We painted both the blank and tubes white, then used CA. The blanks are transparent enough that we can see the paint and the ripples of the glue, but it also looks like that is the way the material is supposed to look like.

The bakelite blanks are THICK! Turning them down can take an hour (for ME, that's forever - most plastic pens are 10 minutes, max). I am not patient. BUT, a couple coffee breaks per pen (these are NOT being done by me for PRODUCTION!!), whenever the blank starts to feel "Hot" to the touch. Personally, I have made every bakelite into a pen, without flaws - and, if you consult Visconti's website you will learn that "bachelite" (this material was created by a guy named Bach, it is NOT from "Bake" like in ovens, as I originally thought) can withstand higher temperature than any other pen-making material. Having read that, I still don't like to get it hot.

YMMV - but I'll bet you learned something!!!

winpooh498

The bakelite blanks are THICK! Turning them down can take an hour (for ME, that's forever - most plastic pens are 10 minutes, max). I am not patient. BUT, a couple coffee breaks per pen (these are NOT being done by me for PRODUCTION!!), whenever the blank starts to feel "Hot" to the touch. Personally, I have made every bakelite into a pen, without flaws - and, if you consult Visconti's website you will learn that "bachelite" (this material was created by a guy named Bach, it is NOT from "Bake" like in ovens, as I originally thought) can withstand higher temperature than any other pen-making material. Having read that, I still don't like to get it hot.

YMMV - but I'll bet you learned something!!!

It makes sense that it can with stand higher temps, sense it was made for insulators. But still at the cost per blank I don't want to take any chances.

Top Bottom