Leftover spaghetti

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

I had a half blank spaghetti that was leftover from a previous pen turning. Here's the end result as I paired it up with a leftover figured walnut half blank. The pen was finished with a quick drying gloss topcoat/catalyst that is normallyused for office furniture. So many 'calories'{wood blanks}left to consume. Bon Appetit:D
200672205513_spag1.jpg

200672205532_spag2.jpg

200672205549_spag3.jpg

20067220566_spag4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Very nice- those spaghetti blanks just fascinate me! And it's a good match for the half blank to be with the walnut, that has a somewhat similar figure in it.

emackrell

Peter, gorgeous pens, and I can see why "spaghetti" describes them -- but what IS "spaghetti"? A specific type of wood, or a figure in a wood? (One more thing I've never heard of....)

wood-of-1kind

Eileen,
the 'spaghetti' refers to the swirling pattern of the wrapped veneer that was used to create the blank. You must "twirl" it round and round to get the design pattern and hence it provides its name.

Angela, glad that you enjoy this spaghetti sans red sauce.[;)]

-Peter-[:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I like the concept, Peter, BUT I really don't think the finish is up to your standards...likewise, the fit at the hardware. I'm sure the fit has to do with the veneering process, though.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />I like the concept, Peter, BUT I really don't think the finish is up to your standards...likewise, the fit at the hardware. I'm sure the fit has to do with the veneering process, though.

I'm busted,Lou. You're too sharp for me. The finish is experimental and may not be well suited for these pens. Hardware fitting is not A-1 either and have I left the blank 'too proud' in my attempt to show off as much of the blank as possible. The pens will not be offered for customer sales since they lack full visual impact. Thanks for your honesty as always.

-Peter-[:)]

Ron Mc

Peter,
What thickness veneer are you using to make these blanks? I like the idea and it appears to have gotten my mind desperately trying to think![;)]

wood-of-1kind

Ron,
the veneer sheets that I use is 0.020" thick. It's preferable to have thin stock in order to curl and curl the 'spaghetti' veneer in bundles and then reglue the bundles once again. If you do not have veneer sheets, drop me a line and I will gladly provide if you're willing to pay for actual postage. I do not mind helping when I can.
Regards,
-Peter-

I like the active grain and the wood goes well with the kit.
It appears the cap at the cb is out of round. I've had that problem before an if it is a professional mandrel, I loosen it,pull up the tail stock, then tighten the mandrel. If that doesnt work, I get a new mandrel rod (assuming the tail and head stock are aligned).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom