L'eclessi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

This is an Eclipse pen kit from Woodturningz. First time I've tried it. The kit is exceptionally easy to assemble. After turning the blank, the clip is press fit on. The transmission is already attached to the lower portion of the pen, so you just slip on the blank. The blank is a dark red rhino plastic blank (first time for this also). It seemed to turn well and polish nicely. Are there any issues to watch out for with the rhino plastic blanks?

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Eclipse.JPG
    Eclipse.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 291
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MichaelD

I've used quite a few of the Rhino Plastics blanks and had some problems at first with chipping, especially on some of the ends of the barrels where it gets really thin. Went to the common sense approach of "sharp tools, high speed, thin cuts" and no problems since. I've had no after-production problems with them like cracking, even after being dropped. At least no more than any other blank.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Great looking pen, I thought it was a dark burl at first, the blank is a good pairing with the kit. You fit and finish is spot on.

keithbyrd

I have turned several out of the rhino plastic and no problems - I like it.
You did a great job on the pen - great fit and finish! I am going to have to try that component set!

elkhorn

Thanks, everyone. I'll try to photograph it again on a white/gray piece of granite. I've been trying to decide which I like best. The black granite makes pens look classy, but sometimes obscures the color. I'll post it here and you can decide which works best.

On this blank I tried a Norseman drill bit with Bladecote. Absolutely no chipping or drifting when drilling. Two plus points: they are made in the USA and they are usually within a dollar of the far east imported bits.

Take care,

John

elkhorn

OOPS! I almost forgot. Dan, I tried to get the blank as thin as the one in your post of the bolt acton with white oak, but even though I sharpened my turning tool, it just wouldn't match it.

Top Bottom