Leather Slimline Pro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from faas

faas

Had a customer want to incorporate alligator leather into a pen. I decided to stack it into my normal leather blank. It was extremely soft so i could not do too much but you can see it shown as each of the dark lines in the blanks. BTW, the spot just above the center band is a bad spot in the leather, not the finish.
20161221-IMG_0773.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bpgoldo

Clint, first time i ever saw that done with gator skin. Looks amazing. Gonna start a new trend brother!

faas

Clint, first time i ever saw that done with gator skin. Looks amazing. Gonna start a new trend brother!

If i were to do one with more gator in it, i'd either have to find a different source or experiment with stabilizing. This stuff was entirely too soft, hence the reason I only used it a few pieces at a time.

Thank you all for the compliments!

OZturner

Great Pen, Clinton.
Could you float CA into the soft leather above the Center Band, and then sand, so that it doesn't become so noticeable? - Just a Thought.
Excellent Work.
Congratulations,
Brian.

faas

Great Pen, Clinton.
Could you float CA into the soft leather above the Center Band, and then sand, so that it doesn't become so noticeable? - Just a Thought.
Excellent Work.
Congratulations,
Brian.

The entire thing was "soaked" with thin CA and sanded down twice. I then used BLO followed by my regular thin to medium CA finish. Its actually a discoloration in the piece of leather. I'm not sure if it was natural or caused by me... either way, it got to the point that I was not willing to take any additional material off so it had to stay.

Top Bottom