LEATHER PEN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hunter-27

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is the pen I promised Phillip I would finish and show the before and after of. I hope no one thought I was gonna start with a nice, pretty, and/or square blank. If so you are gonna be disapointed. :biggrin:

Attachments

• leather pen 00000a.jpg
    leather pen 00000a.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 354
  • leather pen 00001a.jpg
    leather pen 00001a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 290
  • leather pen 00003a.jpg
    leather pen 00003a.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 486
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnccutter

OK Landon, I'll bit.... I've worked with leather before, and your hole looks just about perfect through the blank... great job.... so... how'd you do it :)

an epoxy for glue?

Erik

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
OK Landon, I'll bit.... I've worked with leather before, and your hole looks just about perfect through the blank... great job.... so... how'd you do it :)

an epoxy for glue?

Erik

I should have taken that pic as well, srry. I clamped it between 2 pieces of wood, put the whole thing in the PH vise. THe wood holds it square while also not allowing the bit to wander so much. That "gluey" mess is Med CA from Monty. (Lots of it) A SHARP bit also helps considerably. :wink:

jaeger

Nice pen Landon!
I plan on trying one of those. I was thinking of taking a piece of pipe and sharpening it and figuring out a way to chuck it up on the DP and cut each piece individually.

phillywood

Now, Landon, that's beautiful as well as amazing when you told me that you were going to do it I didn't think it would be this way. I was under the impression that you would wrap the leather around the tube then cast it and then turn it. This one looks very cool and thanks for contributing it to the chart i am sure you'll be getting lots of PMs about this one asking how you do it. it may not be a bad idea to prepare an tutorial for it. Of course, it would be all up to you. if you decide to do it then let me know and we put it under your pen in the chart (link).

Thank you again.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Thanks to all, the blank is so ugly partly due to I will refuse very few FREE supplies. The leatherworker who gave me the scraps was not selective about what he gave me so I will make use of it as it is. If the need were so felt you could trim the pieces to a more eye appealing condition but it was not a step I wanted to spend time on. Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate them.

Landon

sbell111

That turned out very nice. We've made a number of leather pens in a similar fashion. We use a thinner leather simply because those were the scraps available to me. Rather than drilling out the blanks after gluing them up, I hammer out leather donuts using leather punches and glue them up on the tube using epoxy.

Old Lar

Nice pen, Landon. I have some scraps of my own to try this. The place where I consign my pens are always looking for something different.

AceMrFixIt

That has got to be the ugliest blank I have ever seen. The finished product looks awesome. Good job. Which brings to mind a contest.......ugliest blank, nicest pen.....

Top Bottom