Leather Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wyone

wyone

OK so reading through the library I came across instructions on making a leather pen. I HAD to try it. It worked pretty well for a first try. I learned a lot, but think I will make more.

Attachments

• Leather.jpg
    Leather.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 371
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Great Pen, Mitch.
Excellent choice of leathers for the blank.
I note that it has a reasonably good reflective quality,
What type of Finish did you use?
If it was CA, and you were looking for a hard gloss finish, then it still looks a little thirsty. Had you considered burnishing or boning the Blank?
Great work,
Brian.

wyone

I did use CA, and a LOT of it. I soaked the blank after turning it round. then again after every couple minutes of turning, I was amazed at how much CA was absorbed! I used Gorilla glue to glue the leather together, and now I am thinking, I might have been better to use CA for everything. I had SUCH a mess glueing together as I did not have a standard size and did not glue directly to the tube. You can imagine the mess of about 50 pieces of leather, with foaming glue, and trying to clamp together. The leather was all different thicknesses, some I cut with scissors, some with my bandsaw. I want to try again, this time thinking I might try using a hole saw which would give me some consistancy, and allow me to get better alignment. Still not sure about CA to do that glueing though, as it might be too fast setting.

I do not have a set up yet for buffing, and will be honest.. must go read what burnishing and boning is. :) I do appreciate your comments as that is the BEST way I learn.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

raar25

I made one recently and glued the layers together with titebond III. It worked pretty well and the CA finish didnt bother the glue joints.

sbell111

I did use CA, and a LOT of it. I soaked the blank after turning it round. then again after every couple minutes of turning, I was amazed at how much CA was absorbed! I used Gorilla glue to glue the leather together, and now I am thinking, I might have been better to use CA for everything. I had SUCH a mess glueing together as I did not have a standard size and did not glue directly to the tube. You can imagine the mess of about 50 pieces of leather, with foaming glue, and trying to clamp together. The leather was all different thicknesses, some I cut with scissors, some with my bandsaw. I want to try again, this time thinking I might try using a hole saw which would give me some consistancy, and allow me to get better alignment. Still not sure about CA to do that glueing though, as it might be too fast setting.

I do not have a set up yet for buffing, and will be honest.. must go read what burnishing and boning is. :) I do appreciate your comments as that is the BEST way I learn.

Thanks again!
I use appropriately-sized hollow punches to cut out the rings and glue them onto the tube (and together) with epoxy.

Top Bottom