Leather. It's not just for....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Snowbeast

Snowbeast

...belts and boots anymore.

Started thinking about a different way to install a clip without resorting to a kit or bending a wire(which I can't do neatly anyway). Since I don't have any high speed metal working tools, I thought I'd try leather.

Saturated it with thin CA as normal for a barrel and then just sanded it to shape. This one is rather simple but this method seems to have a lot of potential. Plenty of flex but no apparent signs of breaking.

A dab of thick CA attaches it to wherever you want without having to cut slots or drill holes in the upper barrel.:biggrin:

Has anyone else tried this before and if so, what were the long term results?

Comments, critiques and suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

• Leather barrel&clip.JPG
    Leather barrel&clip.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Leather barrel&clip-3.jpg
    Leather barrel&clip-3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 349
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Snowbeast

Thanx guys.

I was contemplating a wooden clip when I got started thinking about the leather. Guess I'll have to try it now and see what happens.

seamus7227

thats a very interesting concept! did you just saturate the leather for the clip part too? I will be curious how it holds up to everyday flexing of the clip as it goes in and out of the pocket, please keep us posted! Nice job by the way.

jskeen

Interesting concept, I would not have thought the attachment would be strong enough with just glue, but if you prove me wrong I'll be very happy! Really Nice work, btw. Show us some more of it!

Where are you in Texas, btw? Anywhere close to Crosby?

Snowbeast

jskeen - Most of the flex is below the attachment point so there doesn't appear to be much stress placed on the glue joint. I'll keep testing to see what happens.

I'm about 3 1/2 hours NW of you, halfway between Austin and Waco. I used to get down that way a couple of times a month when I was wearing the green suit but that went away several years ago. Seems to be a lot of green suits around here.

Thanx for the encouragement guys!

Top Bottom