Leather & Birch Wall Streets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulD

PaulD

First leather pen in a while and the first leather Wall Street. The spalted birch is from my back yard.

Attachments

• leather and birch.jpg
    leather and birch.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 303
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulD

Thanks Rob. That stacked leather is hard to turn evenly, this one came out real well. I added some rosewood stain to this particular leather pen to give it some added richness.

Marc

Thanks for mentioning the stain - I was struggling with believing it was leather at all, but did not know what it could be.

Beautiful work and a nice back yard find for the spalted timber.

Jgrden

Wait wait wait Leather ?????? How in the heck did you do that???? Wrap it?? How'd you glue it???? Did you cast it???

Confused and impressed in Conroe, Texas,
John

PaulD

I start with strips of tanned leather. Stack them and glue them with leather glue. Clamp overnight and then trim the leather to the size of a regular blank and then drill, brass insert and turn using standard woodturning tools. I have used woodhardener on some of my leather pens, but I don't think I did so on this particular one. Here are some photos of other leather pens and the steps I described. There is a cigar and CEO leather pen in the photos. I think I added a maple stain to these two to darken them.

Attachments

• mini leather box.JPG
    mini leather box.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Mini leather.jpg
    Mini leather.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 110
  • mini leather pen.jpg
    mini leather pen.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 83
Top Bottom