Leather Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stevej72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

After I made my first leather pen I said I wouldn't make another because it was too difficult to turn. But, the other day I came across my leather scraps and decided to try again. There were pieces of leather that were dyed 3 different colors. Cut them to about 1 x 6 inches and used CA to glue them together into a pen blank.

Last time I tried using a gouge to get it turned down close to the shape I wanted, stopping every few cuts to add more CA. This time I used my 1 inch skew for the whole process. I only had to add CA a few times and the whole thing took only about 20 minutes to turn. Putting the CA finish on took some doing but I finally got that done too.

It actually look better in person than in the pictures, for some reason I had a lot of trouble getting pictures that I liked. I had to settle for these as I have to move on to my list of honey-dos.

200772516111_DSC00617.jpg

200772516123_DSC00639.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

Beautiful pen!!! I can see the brown stripes in the pictures. That makes it look more elegant than just black or just brown. Awesome job on using alternative materials!!! Make me wish I had some of my grandfathers’ old harnesses.

ahoiberg

very interesting and a very cool look... so you just glued the pieces into a regular looking blank and drilled, etc. like you normally would? Is it the CA that gives it the acrylic look? It almost looks like you cast it or something.

Stevej72

Thanks for all the nice comments. I did glue it up and drill it pretty much like a wood blank, except when you drill it I had to clamp it in my drilling jig with 2 wooden clamps so it wouldn't tear apart the leather where it is glued.

It is the CA that gives is the acrylic look. I may try another finish on the next pen I am working on, but the CA give a nice hard finish.

2007725204119_DSC00660.jpg

rovercat

Nice pen Steve. A friend in Canada sent me a fly rod grip made from an old leather coat. He did say it was tough to turn but it has a nice feel to it. I never thought of doing a pen in leather. Thanks for posting.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom