Leather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stevej72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

This looked pretty good until I took it off of the lathe. When I removed the bushings the CA pulled loose and turned white on the ends.

I wish I would have seen Its Virgils pen before I started and I would have used disks. I cut strips of leather and epoxied them together. I had to stop quite often while turning to put some thin CA on the surface because the leather kept wanting to separate.

When I was just about done turning the lower barrel a couple layers of leather broke off and I had to dig through my dust collector to find them and glue them back on.

200724205358_DCP_5324.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

guts

Steve,that's to bad would have made a nice pen,everytime I apply ca I separate the bushings from the blank,no more pulling pieces of wood off the end of the blank,might be a little more trouble but i don't ruin anymore blanks.

Hiram33

sorry about the ends still a very interesting idea never would have thought to turn leather. but that is what i like about this group always some thing to learn

C. Scott

Steve,

The pen looks nice inspite of the ends. One thing that I do before I seperate the pen from the bushings is a take my parting tool and part off the CA on the bushings down to the steel and right up against the wood. Hope this helps.

Tanner

Hi Steve, I do like the look that leather gave you. I have tried different ways of separating the bushings. What Chris said has been working for me. You have to be perfect when getting close to the blank though. I was using a utility knife and cutting around the bushing right where the blank meets it. Some success that way. I did get some Delrin. I saw where some turners will make bushings from this as CA does not stick to it. I have not tried this yet. I also saw where people put wax paper or milk carton caps between the bushings and the blank when applying CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom