Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Boyd

If I can keep those freaking bubbles out I might become a pen turner[V]
SpiderfSmall.jpg

SpidereSmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

The bubles may have had it not turn out like you pictured, but the effect is actually pretty cool. It make the spider seem nastier, I mean that in a good way.

Thumbs

Great! Too good, in fact. If I had it here, I would probably throw it onto the floor and stomp on it![:0]

Arachnaphobe? Nah! I just hate those eight legged suckers![}:)]

Jim Boyd

Thanks folks! The maple with black spider I'm working on now won"t have any bubbles. I hope[:D] The spiderweb is really easy. I used 3 ebony pen blanks to make this pen. Two were split down the middle length-wise with the blade tilted to a 45 degree angle. The white veneer was glued between the halves returning the blanks back to its original dimensions. When dry I cut them at 45 degrees again except with a sled creating triangles. I had 12 triangles grouped in 3 sets of 4. Each set was glued together with whit veneer sandwiched between each piece. This made 3 squares which were stacked glued making a really fat top barrel blank[:D] After that it is just regular pen making. The spider was done by drilling 2 holes, a 1/4" and unknown smaller bit. The 2 holes intersect. Then I penciled in some legs and scrollsawed them in. Just a single blade width. This is where I had problems coloring the ca glue used to fill the cutout. Doing the second one today using a 15 minute epoxy seemed to work filling the thin leg cuts. Time will tell when I turn it tomorrow or the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom