Learning something new every day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RussFairfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The Internet is a wonderful thing. Thanks to the Internet and the IAP and other forums, I have learned that Bloodwood is a very difficult wood. Here I was believing that it was almost an ideal wood for making pens. I believed that it was a hard and durable wood with no bad habits, that it was very stable and didn't crack, that it turned nicely, sanded evenly, and finished into a deep red color that only got better with age. Was I ever wrong.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Now that I know Bloodwood is so difficult, I will never be able to make another pen from it. Now I am wondering what to do with the 6 board feet of it I just bought

Here is a photo of my last Bloodwood pen, nade before I knew it was such a bad wood for pens. :D:D

2007220152835_DSC01195E.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've never encountered a problem w/ bloodwood either, Russ, so possibly you'll consider dividing the remainder of your stock between Dario and me. I mean, if its really that difficult, you shouldn't unfairly drop all that difficulty on Dario, right? So, when you finally remove your tongue from your cheek, if its not too much of a challenge to cut the awful stuff, just send a couple chunks my way, as well.
OH, BTW------THE PEN, as usual, is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Dario

LOL

Shannon and Billy, we should be called "The Piranhas" [:D][}:)] or "Vultures"? [V]

Kidding aside...while there are woods/materials that are different (they all are) and more difficult...usually there is a work around (if only I can find the one for snakewood [B)])

Very good (subtle) message Russ!

samuel07

Russ
Because we all respect you so much and would not want you to suffer any undo aggravation from a pen made from troublesome wood (it could spontaniously combust in your pocket or something)I hereby offer to sacrifice my own heartache and will be willing to take possesion of that troublesome bloodwood pen you have made.

What are friends for[:D]

its_virgil

And on top of all of that it stinks...Smells like my grandmother's red velvet cake[;)]. Ah, what memories. And, after you send some to the vultures and have any left, I live in Texas. [:D] Beautiful pen Russ. Bloodwood is one of my favorites. You did a great job, as usual, on that pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />
The Internet is a wonderful thing. Thanks to the Internet and the IAP and other forums, I have learned that Bloodwood is a very difficult wood. Here I was believing that it was almost an ideal wood for making pens. I believed that it was a hard and durable wood with no bad habits, that it was very stable and didn't crack, that it turned nicely, sanded evenly, and finished into a deep red color that only got better with age. Was I ever wrong.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Now that I know Bloodwood is so difficult, I will never be able to make another pen from it. Now I am wondering what to do with the 6 board feet of it I just bought

Here is a photo of my last Bloodwood pen, nade before I knew it was such a bad wood for pens. [:D][:D]

gerryr

Russ, I know what you're referring to and I also wondered what I was doing wrong when I used Bloodwood since it seemed just about the ideal wood for making pens. I can't use it anymore either.[:(]
Beautiful work as always.

Gary Max

Russ this should help you out------make sure your Bloodwood is cut at a angle-- then let it get very dry. If you forget to crank up the rpms on the lathe-----you should be able to break everyone of them---

arioux

Great looking pen, must i say "as usual"[:)].

About 50% of all the perfume pen i make a from bloodwood. Great color and chatoyance when angle cut.

The way i see it, we all (the vultures) will end up with a key chain blank !![:D]

Alfred

airrat

Russ, thanks for letting us know this. I respect your opinion so much, I am going into the shop right now to cut the "free" piece (6 x 32 x 3/4) of bloodwood a neighbor just gave me into firewood. He made a beautiful curio cabinet out of it. [:D]

Pen looks great, if it is not up to your standards to keep. let me know, I would be honored to put it in a display case.[}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom