learning experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hard hat

hard hat

I have been longing to do the kitless thing for a while, just been slow in acquiring the right tools. so here is the first adventure and yes, its ugly. The most basic of basic, a stick for a parker refil. No mechanism, no cap.

using a scrap of pink acrylic I made the nib. M9x0.75 threads. I messed it up and in keeping on, the nib hole became off centered. oh well, its just scrap. then I grabbed a blank I didn't like and used that for the body, not caring if they matched at all.

after carrying it around for the afternoon I needed to make a new nib. grabbing the cutoff from the parent blank for the body I made a new nib, not doing the things I did before. the result was much better.

the things I learned while doing this were innumerable. what I wouldn't do again is cut quite so many theads for the nib to body. the nib is actually drilled well and clear, theres just lubricant on the inside of the hole still. the body got a little hot and gummed up, I was excited.

all C&C welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very nice job. I wonder what it would have looked like if you painted the inside of the blank? Anyway it looks great as far as I am concerned. By the way that is not ugly...

Gord K.

Nice job, I've been wanting to try something like that for awhile now.

Did you use a spring at the top of the refill like in a roller ball or did you drill the exact size to fit the Parker refill?

Gord

hard hat

Nice job, I've been wanting to try something like that for awhile now.

Did you use a spring at the top of the refill like in a roller ball or did you drill the exact size to fit the Parker refill?

Gord

drilled to the exact depth. three parts to the entire pen: body, nib, ink. no wobble in the ink and it threads all the way together. measure twice, drill once.

SteveG

Using a transparent blank to learn on is a great idea (pat self on back). You can easily see a great many things you either want and/or do not want to do in future attempts. This looks like a great learning effort. Now the refinement begins...

Steve

Top Bottom