Le Roi Elegant Major Dress in Redwood Lace Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
On the Lathe again, just couldn't wait to me be on the lathe again. Here is my first pen in over a month. It took a bit longer to do then those of the past. I'm a bit out of practice and I had to get use to sitting down to turn again. This one is a Le Roi Elegant Major Rollerball dressed in a Redwood lace burl blank. Both the kit and blank were set to me my Mike (mikepenturningz). It the first time I've use this kit which is really nice. It also the first time I've turned Redwood. I sanded to 12000 mm and finished with WTF I'm not sure how many coats as I lost count. I've very happy with the way this pen came out. All C&C are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 329
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

Your execution is spot on and shows very well! Glad to see you back in the shop! The component set from Smitty is very nice! Be well.....Jan

Trey

Welcome back Dan!
The redwood lace is perfect for the ornate touches on that pen. Well paired and well done. Hope the foot allows you back in the shop more often. It's always a pleasure!

Trey

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Great

I'm happy to hear you're back to turning. And, that's a real nice looking pen. I usually have a little trouble with the redwood burl I need to take it kind of slow and do more sanding that with most. It does pay off in the finished pen though.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice to see your work again Dan!

Pretty darn nice - I like both the blank and kit, a nice match.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Jan, Trey, Leroy and Mark thanks you very much for the great compliments. It is nice to be able to spend some time in the shop. I am g4oing to take it easy and just take one step at a time. Like drilling the blank or blanks and gluing in the the tube or tubes and wait until the next day to do more. It could the a few days to make a pen. But you just can rush masterpieces like mine.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Actually Dan, that's always the way I do it. Cut and drill one day (sometimes I also glue) thun one day and usually finish same day, assemble one day. I usually take at least 3 days -- who cares though, I am not competing in the "fastest" turner contest.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Leroy, Being unable to do very much for the last month and what I was able to do I have to do a bit slower. I've come to realize there is really no need to hurry with just about anything.
Jon, thanks for the nice comment and compliment I guess I have lost my touch. I sure Evelyn will agree with that she says I'm tiuched. Mike thank you for your compliment. I believe it's Gold Titanium and Rhodium, the gold really didn't show all that well in the photo

SteveJ

You said that was a rollerball, but I don't think the Le Roi Elegant Major comes in a rollerball. Either way it is a nice looking pen on a great kit.

Glad you are back in the shop.

tgsean

Very nice pen Dan. It must feel good to be back turning! You've not lost the touch mate. Well done.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks a bunch, Stephen, Mike and Sean for those nice compliments. Stephen I should have said ballpoint. It really is nice to be back in the shop.

Top Bottom