LCP in Red Fir

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RHossack

RHossack

I had another go at using Red Fir bark as a material for a pen body.

This one came up with its own new set of particular issues.

Bonding to the brass tube has been a big problem but appears to be history as I'm using Sumo PU glue and not one tear out on the last few.

Because the light part is very soft (like balsa) and the dark is wood it's hard to turn and get a smooth finish.

Also, if the soft end is on the nib or final and you try to square the blank, the wood peels like dead skin and you have a void to fix and coffee grounds fixed this.

No matter what I did I couldn't fill the voids in the body between the light and dark areas (usually do a slurry paste fill) so they were smooth enough to apply a CA finish so I dipped in Lacquer.

After 15 dips and there were still some small voids I gave up and put it together as I was concerned it would be too thick and not fit properly.

3vezc.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RHossack

Great finish as always. Your 'one piece' construction makes even the inexpensive kits look high end. I like your work.:)
Thank you Peter ...

The LCP is already a one piece pen kit ... the lacquer down side is it takes so long between dips.

I made a 'hot box' and put the pen in there and it gets to be about 120º but it's still about 60 minutes between dips.

Bree

I think that is a KILLER pen. It looks cool as can be and it is A+ for creativity. Great job!!

RHossack

Just a thought, can it be turned a little under sized then cast in clear resin?
Mark, I'm sure there's a will there's a way but this stuff is pretty tough when it gets down to smaller sizes. I don't have problems with Fly Rod handles.

Been thinking of taking all the chips and stuff and casting to see what happens.

The pieces with large beetle holes would be a candidate for some WW casting.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful! Really nice! You make it look easy. Can't tell from here that you had any problems at all.

Very nice!

Top Bottom