Lazy and easy shell pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldimick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

20057304657_P7020021-1.jpg

I have been watching all of the posts about using shell cases for pens and I think I came across something that might be of some help to others.

The above pen is not perfect - but it shows a concept that is pretty darned good.

USE A SLIMLINE and a .308!!!!

The 308 shell length is within 1/8" or so of being the same length as the slimline tube. The 7mm tube will fit inside the shell very nicely.

What I did was drill out the primer pocket with a 7mm bit. Then I put the 7mm tube in and left just a small piece out of both ends and then turned the top and used micrometers for the size. It spun free on the mandrel.

Then I glued the tube into the case with CA. The bottom was easy. I made sure that I kept the top of the tube in the top of the case centered in the shell while the bottom set. Then I ran a very small bead around the lip of the top between the tuber and the case.

Then I trimmed the case. Be sure and trim the top too. As any reloader will tell you the lip of the rim will go out of round after firing and they are often reamed back into flat and round.

Now, put the case back on your lathe and polish it with MM from 1500-12000. Then spray a few light coats of Deft on it. Unfortunately I trimmed this one after I sprayed it so mine doesn't look as good as it did.

When you press the pen tip into the top of the tube the tube swells just a bit and you get a perfect fit. The fit is so good that it looks just like a live round - even to the hollow tip appearance.

Now I just need to find a better rifle clip.

Again, it's not perfect but it sure was easy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I wouldn't trust the glue joint in the method you used, glueing metal to metal isn't the best idea but if it works for you...

M

Mudder

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />I wouldn't trust the glue joint in the method you used, glueing metal to metal isn't the best idea but if it works for you...

(edit) I would agree with Eagle that using CA to glue metal to metal is risky. CA is very strong in a "pull" test but lacks high shear strength. Constant twisting may cause the joint to fail over time.....

However, there is a CA made for bonding metal to metal. see below. (end edit)

Not sure how pricey it is but at work we use Loctite 430 to bond brass to brass. 430 is a metal bonding CA type glue. Mighbt be worth trying to find some if you plan to make a lot of these.

Fangar

Looks a little short to me. Usually this is why I add a centerband with a .308. Otherwise they come out a bit stubby.

James

ldimick

Thanks for all of your comments. You may ber right abut the glue. I thought about trying to fill it with Gorilla or somethign else.

As far as it being a bit short it is within 1/8" or so but it wouldn't hurt to add a CB. In fact, that was exactly what my wife said, although her reason was for visual reasons versus length.

MDWine

Yep, nice and easy instructions, and thanks. I still have hope that I can do one some time. I need to concentrate more on "regular" pens for now, but I'll get to these this winter, I think.

Thanks for sharing, looks good from here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom