Layered pen & layered spiral

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McMillan

OK, finally got a couple done!!! The first is layered with bloodwood under maple.

200547171118_newpens%20004.jpg

The second pen is a layered spiral with a little different look---with almond under maple.

200547171238_newpens%20008.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Excellent looking pens as always Tom.
So, that work thing getting in the way is it. LOL
Did you put your pens by the cash register yet?

Tom McMillan

Thanks guys. Bill, I turned the lower wood blanks down first evenly up to a shoulder for the center where it's higher----then drilled the maple blanks to go over the lower blanks and evened the end adjoining the center with a pen mill and glued it on---then proceeded to do the finish turning. (Of course, the spiral was done by hand again.)

Haven't got the pens by the cash register yet, but will have to work on that Anthony.

Well, off to work I go---see you guys a little later!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful pens, Tom. That almond looks sweet! For those of you who haven't seen one of the spiral pens up close, they are even more beautiful than in the pictures. The two woods glide effortlessly together, yet have a distinctness about them. Tom's fit and finish on the under-layer and the spiraled upper-layer are nothing short of magnificent!

Tom McMillan

Nope, Mike---I use a little rasp (bastard file) to make the spirals---hold the file in my right hand and turn the lathe with my left---unfortunately only have two hands at the moment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom