Lavender Seed in Resin Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

This has been probably the most difficult pen I have turned to date. A very good friend came to me with some dried lavender seeds and asked if I could make a pen blank out it. Sure! No problem! I said not realizing at the time that she would select a slimline as the pen of choice for said lavender seed blank. If it had not been a commissioned pen I would have scrapped the idea and cut my losses way sooner.

I chose the teardrop type shape because I am not a fan of the elliptical "fat" look on a slimline. This led to a lot of tearout from the seed pods at the thinnest section of the blanks. I ended up having to segment on a piece of black acrylic on the ends in order to get the pen down to final shape.

This pen fought me the entire way. From the tearout, to the voids left by some of the seed pods that had to be filled with CA, to final finish and sanding occurring twice because I didn't think the first time was smooth enough. Slapped a layer of medium CA over the pen and went back sanding and buffing that back out to finally end up with the finished product displayed here.

I am not 100% happy with it as it did get a little thin at the nib and clip but through all of the trials this pen threw at me I was able to over come them. Plus, the client is in love with and at the end of the day that is what really matters. Comments and critiques/lessons learned from similar material is welcome!

Attachments

• Lavender Seed.jpg
    Lavender Seed.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 196
Top Bottom