Lava Flow & Lignum Vitae

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

Here are a couple from this weekend.

1st up is a new pour I call Lava Flow. I put it on a Black TI Long Click. It's a solid red with solid black, and some silver mixed in.

Up next is a kit you don't see often. It's a rhodium plated Neopean from Lau Lau woods. This looks almost like a euro, but it's larger, and has a double twist transmission like a cigar. It also uses a parker refill. I did a custom black centerband out of black alumilite. The blank is Lignum Vitae. It is now officially my favorite wood. It's very hard & oily. I used the pens plus finish on this pen. To be honest, I really think I could have just sanded it to 600, and called it good. This is going to be my carry pen for awhile. I really like the feel of the wood.

I'm going to make a euro to match. When I do, I'll post them together to show the size difference.

CC welcome.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Great Pens, Bob.
Excellent Blanks, ideally matched to the Kits.
The Neopean from Lau Lau looks very interesting, and well dressed in Lignum Vitae.
Congratulations.
Brian.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Just did a pen yesterday with Lignum Vitae! The grain is just beautiful. This was my first pen from this wood but it will not be my last! Love your new pour. Nice work.

Brooks803

Both are great Bob but the Lignum is my fav! That wood is addicting huh? Stick it out in the sun for a few hours (be sure to rotate it!) and it'll turn green fast.

BSea

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Just did a pen yesterday with Lignum Vitae! The grain is just beautiful. This was my first pen from this wood but it will not be my last! Love your new pour. Nice work.
It was also my 1st, and not my last. In fact it won't be my last this week.:rolleyes:

Those are great looking pens Bob, I like your custom center band you did, fit and finish is top notch.
I really like doing small customizations to pens. And centerbands are easy, and I think add a lot of character. Especially black.

Both are great Bob but the Lignum is my fav! That wood is addicting huh? Stick it out in the sun for a few hours (be sure to rotate it!) and it'll turn green fast.
The blank that it came from is really green. (it was a 12 inch stick. The other half is for the euro I'm going to make.) Hopefully the sun will shine later today, so I can get it back to green. And you're right, it is addicting.

A few observations about this pen. 1st off, I've been carrying it around like a 3 year old carries around a new puppy. I do think the pen is slightly top heavy. That's probably because the LV is so heavy, and there is more meat on the upper barrel. And it's pretty long at 5 3/4". I'm adding a closeup that shows some of the feathering in the grain that doesn't show up in the 1st picture. This is really so much prettier in person. But I think we've all said that about lots of pens.

Last edited:

nilsdavis

Your custom centerband goes beautifully with the pen design! What is between the LV and the alumilite? I've been using sheets cut from a coke can, but yours is much thicker.

Top Bottom