latest try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rodger Bagwell

this is pen number 8 i think im getting a little better but still have a long ways to go it is made with diamondwood and black finish slimline...wanting to try something different so some suggestions what would be good for a beginner is appreciated

Attachments

• diamondwood 001_640x214.JPG
    diamondwood 001_640x214.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stolicky

Well, I haven't seen your previous pens, but this pens looks like you pretty much have the swing of things. I usually make a general tapered shape like this on slimlines. I have found that many people tend to like it. The finish also looks nice and consistent.

The photo looks a bit blurry to me, but I also don't have my glasses on. : )

keep it up. you are in a very great place to learn. I turned for 3 years before I found out that there even was a place like this. I was completely self taught until I discovered this wonderful site. my learning curve has taken a sugnificant jump. the amount of improvement in my pens in just the last 3 months has been amazing. I made close to 30 pens before I had one that looked as good as your number 8.

JohnU

Looks Good Rodger! Nice shape and finish. I started with slims and comforts because they are the same tubes but comforts with a thicker center band. Then I went to cigars and euros. Euros are also 7mm tubes but theyre different lengths, so you wont need a new drillbit. Once I had the euros down, I tried the 8mm classic twists or flat tops as some call them. Sierras and Jr. Gents were last. All are fun and not any harder than the others, you just need different bits and bushings. Good Luck and again, Nice Job!

tim self

Fit and finish look good to me. I know the diamond wood can be a little harder wood than normal. If you can turn it without blowing it up, you're doing well. Compare #1 to #8 and see how much better it is. That is your ruler. And don't be affraid to try different shapes with the slim. Turning isn't always the hardest part. The finish sets off the pen. Keep it up.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great job and nice fit and finish! Diamond wood doesn't like some people, but it seems to like you! :biggrin:

As inexpensive as slimlines are, they still are the most difficult (to me) to do perfectly. When someone is able to do those well, they can do most any kit well.

markgum

excellant work. Looks perfect to me. Might try a different background colour next time. The red seems to wash things out. (just my 2cents worth)

Tn-Steve

nice pen. I like slims because you have a huge amount of flexibility in the design. I like having a little extra to hold on to, you have a good shape with out it becoming overly 'wasp-waisted'.

I started off just a couple of months ago, my progress has been turbo-charged by the folks here.

Steve

Thanks everyone..the diamondwood is pretty hard to work with as i did have 1 blow out but managed to repair it and finish is just CA and wax. The pic makes it look alot better than it really is but i do appreciate the encouragement to keep going. One day i hope to have one good enuf to really show off for everyone here.

Top Bottom