Latest three rollerballs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AlanZ

AlanZ

From left to right

My first experience with both an M3 Damascus blank and the Jr. Statesman II components.

I enjoyed working with my first M3 blank... cut very well with carbide tools. I would have liked to see a bit more pattern in the Damascus... it's very subtle. I'm pleased with the Statesman parts, I think it goes well with the blank.

I made the acrylic pen in the middle for a co-worker of my wife. He is retiring to an ocean community, and she wanted to give him a going away present that reminds her of the beach.

Finally, I've been eyeing coffee bean blanks for some time, and decided to make this as a gift for a dedicated coffee drinker. Though this pen has a CA finish, I will also give her a slice of the unfinished blank so she can sniff the beans.

Attachments

• 3_rollerballs.jpg
    3_rollerballs.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AlanZ

Thanks for the kind words.

I made the M3 pen for myself. I want to see how I'll do with a heavier, non-postable pen.

I used this pen as an excuse to try several new things.
  • Used an M3 blank
  • Drillined blank on the lathe (in a Beall collett chuck)
  • Used epoxy instead of CA to glue in the tubes (stuffed play-dough into tube ends
  • Roughed on a mandrel, then finish turned between centers
  • Used Simm metal polish after MicroMesh to 12000
This pen was also the most pricey to produce. Combining the Jr. Statemsan II components with an M3 blank makes for a lighter wallet.

AlanZ

A member of another forum brought out an interesting point.
Has anyone tried treating the M3 Damascus with a mild acid... perhaps lemon juice, to darken the carbon steel in the blank?

Top Bottom