Latest Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Here are a couple of pictures of pens I recently finished.

The dip pen is snakewood with African blackwood for the nib holder section. The finish is lacquer. I only drilled a little bit past the blackwood into the snakewood hoping to minimiize the potential for cracking.

The second photo is of a couple of cartridge pens with axis antler using copper kits. The cartridges are lightly buffed and then powder coated with the intent of showing that they actually have been fired. The cartridges are 30/06.

All comments welcome.

20083232363_Snakewood%20Dip%20Pen%201.jpg

20083232378_2%20Cartridge%20Pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Beautiful finish on the snake, Cav! Nice idea with the blackwood tip, and only drilling as far as you need to. I've yet to touch snakewood with a ten foot pole, but I do have some finished gaboon barrels that I need to get 'creative' with. Stupid cracks. :)

wdcav1952

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

I really like the dip pen. Good luck with the snakewood.
Cartridges are fine also.

Thanks Frank. I only drilled far enough into the snakewood to strengthen the joint between the blackwood and the snakewood. That way, most of the snakewood is solid. I hope that will convince it not to crack. (Where is the fingers crossed smilie?)

fernhills

Hi, Like the Cartridge pens,i especially like the action at center band. I never done a Dip Pen yet so i don`t know what good is,but it looks good,thats for sure

wdcav1952

Billy, I wish I could claim credit for the idea. I was just looking for an embellishment for the end of the pen. One of my assistants told me what a neat idea rattles were for the end of a snakewood pen. Unfortunately my answer was "Huh?" Let's call it a fortuitous design opportunity. [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by wdcav1952

Billy, I wish I could claim credit for the idea. I was just looking for an embellishment for the end of the pen. One of my assistants told me what a neat idea rattles were for the end of a snakewood pen. Unfortunately my answer was "Huh?" Let's call it a fortuitous design opportunity. [8D]

I believe that is spelled "d-u-m-b --- l-u-c-k"

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
On a more serious note, the concept of using snakewood in an area you can leave "hole-less" is PRETTY SMART, Cav. Was it Nancy's idea???

Have you tried it before?
Does anyone have experience with this "tactic"? May be a way to use the beauty of snakewood without the "downside risk" that happens to everyone but Lou!!

Seriously, NICE pen!!!

wdcav1952

Ed, Nancy could not care less about my penturning, which perhaps needless to say is a bit of an aggravant to me. (I know you didn't know that, and weren't taking a shot at me.) So, the idea was mine, and we will see how it turns out.

Top Bottom