Latest Laser Cut Pen Design - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Latest Laser Cut Pen Design

This is my latest pen that I've made on a Jr Gentleman hardware. It's walnut with maple inlays (12 each on both tubes). I've determined that 12 was good number that works well with the various multi start cap to body threadings. It should maintain the same pattern alignment for dual, triple and quadruple starts. WoodenOddities is moving in a new direction as far as blank making is concerned. Other than an occasional run of puzzle blanks and possibly custom orders, I'll not be making anymore Sierra sized blanks. I'm beginning to work on new patterns for some of the Fountain and Rollerball capped style pens, this pen represents one of the new patterns.
Attached Thumbnails
img_5024.jpg  

Last edited by Ken Wines; 04-14-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Ken Wines is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Beautiful work. I have a customer that wants peace signs.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 498

Sweet! Another wonderful design Ken.

I look forward to your future designs. It is very inspirational seeing your work.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very cool blank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Wines View Post
WoodenOddities is moving in a new direction as far as blank making is concerned. Other than an occasional run of puzzle blanks and possibly custom orders, I'll not be making anymore Sierra sized blanks. I'm beginning to work on new patterns for some of the Fountain and Rollerball capped style pens, this pen represents one of the new patterns.
Why have you decided to not make anymore Sierra size blanks when you already have many cool designs for that size?
LouCee is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 66

Awesome pen.
Jim15 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Beautiful work. I have a customer that wants peace signs.
Thanks, Tony! The peace sign could be one of those occasional custom orders I was referring to.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
Sweet! Another wonderful design Ken.

I look forward to your future designs. It is very inspirational seeing your work.
Thanks, Mark! You, sir, are too kind. I had planned on coming to Chicago to hang out with you guys for a couple of days. Way to many things happening, it wasn't in the cards for this year, maybe next.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 222

Really nice work Ken!
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCee View Post
Very cool blank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Wines View Post
WoodenOddities is moving in a new direction as far as blank making is concerned. Other than an occasional run of puzzle blanks and possibly custom orders, I'll not be making anymore Sierra sized blanks. I'm beginning to work on new patterns for some of the Fountain and Rollerball capped style pens, this pen represents one of the new patterns.
Why have you decided to not make anymore Sierra size blanks when you already have many cool designs for that size?
It's not that I can't compete in that market, I have chosen not to compete. If I were making pens to sell, I doubt that I would pay $25 for a geometrically shaped blank. It doesn't make much business sense to spend $25 for a blank and put it on hardware that costs maybe $10 - $12. Those that shop that market have plenty of options of places to buy, whether be Laser, wooden, acrylic, etc. To make blanks to be making blanks doesn't make much sense, when there are better, more challenging ways to spend your time. At SEPG I discounted my stock to 80%, and was able to pay for my trip. When I got back home I decided to start liquidated my existing Sierra stash and was bundling 5 packs of different designs and selling them off at wholesale pricing (30% off). Most of them are gone now. If, on the other, you consider that a decent rollerball or fountain pen kit is $25 - $40 and up, then a set of blanks priced at $35 - $45 is not an exorbitant cost and should allow the penmaker some room to recoup their investments. Believe me when I say, it's not all about the money to me. Some blanks I've made just for my own edification and challenge to see if it was possible. I have some personal pen making goals I hope to attain as well a buck list that is heaped. I plan to do less blank making and start working on these alternatives. A two tube pen offers a different set of challenges. Ideally you would make a top and bottom blank that are different in design and complement each other. The pen I've posted here doesn't really meet that standard, because the cap is merely a resized replica of the body. The whole pen thing to me is an evolution in progress. I'm in transit from where I am to where I eventually want be. I didn't mean to go int this whole series of ramblings, just trying to present my perspective of what it all means to me.

Last edited by Ken Wines; 04-14-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecamino View Post
Really nice work Ken!
Thanks, Chuck!
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads