Latest Lamination

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tipusnr

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

I'm fairly proud of this pen as it was made from scraps in a cut-off box I purchased and came out almost exactly as I envisioned it. It started as two pieces of osage orange (hedge apple)with holes in them and a cutoff from the end of a walnut block glue-up. One of the glue lines on the walnut ended up inside the pen so none of the four sides of either the top or bottom came from the same piece of wood.

Additionally both woods have that claro effect so that the appearance changes as you move the pen around.

Hope you like it!

200512014229_Orangewalnut.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

What type of glue do you use for lamination and for gluing to the brass tubes? That type of lamination (while beautiful) seems prone to splitting/cracking over time. What is the group experience on this?

Fred in NC

Shane: I have used Titebond II and epoxy. Both worked well.
However, for end grain to end grain I rather use epoxy. Titebond is not the best for endrain.

tipusnr

Thanks folks! Time will tell about the cracking. I used Titebond for the blank glue-up and thick CA for attaching it to the brass tube. A self-centering jig aided in the trueness of the drilled hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom