latest kitless pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jj9ball

jj9ball

Here is another kitless pen. I tried using a plain color on the cap to hopefully calm down an otherwise wild blank. I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks it did or didn't work. Pen is 6 1/2" long closed and pen body is around 5 1/2" long alone. Body to cap has 14mm threads and section to body has 9mm X .75 threads. Has a fine bock nib. Comments always welcome.
Jeff.

Attachments

• IMG_2695.jpg
    IMG_2695.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2697.jpg
    IMG_2697.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Personally, I would have matched the cap to the body. Then again, if the front section was black I might have used a black cap. Just my 2 cents :biggrin:

Brooks803

Personally I think a matching cap finial would look better and then use a black section. Or if you did the same black end on the body of the pen. I totally agree the blank needed a break. 6 1/2" is pretty long. Does the cap post? I like your shape and how well it flows. The recessed clip is perfect. Well done.

Jim Burr

Banned
I'm in the matching cap and section crowd. I see your point in doing the cap...looks good, but it seems a little lost. Over all...well done!!

jj9ball

I'm in the matching cap and section crowd. I see your point in doing the cap...looks good, but it seems a little lost. Over all...well done!!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I have a confession. In the middle of making the pen I thought "I should add some solid black somewere". At that point I was already done turning the body, section, and all but the top of the cap. So the only thing I could add black to was the top of the cap. Now for the next pen I will definitely make some of those plans a little sooner. Thanks again for the feedback and listening to an airheaded penturner:glasses-nerdy:

jj9ball

Personally I think a matching cap finial would look better and then use a black section. Or if you did the same black end on the body of the pen. I totally agree the blank needed a break. 6 1/2" is pretty long. Does the cap post? I like your shape and how well it flows. The recessed clip is perfect. Well done.

The cap doesn't post. I got a little too carried away on letting the metal lathe make the body straight. When I went to clean up the back and finish it the body was already too small to hold the cap on the back.... live and learn. I gotta learn how to plan my pen builds a little better. This is getting ridiculous. Thanks for the feedback.

lwalper

How do you get the inside of the barrel (and cap) smooth? Mine come out with drill bit scoring -- all cloudy inside. Do you polish the inside?

BTW -- nice pen. I like the black finial.

jj9ball

How do you get the inside of the barrel (and cap) smooth? Mine come out with drill bit scoring -- all cloudy inside. Do you polish the inside?

BTW -- nice pen. I like the black finial.

Thanks. I don't polish the inside but I do use a lubricant (cooking spray) when I drill the long holes for the body and cap. For the cap I also make sure to drill the hold in about 3 steps (center drill, 9mm, 13.3mm). This keeps heat down, along with the lubricant, and it also keeps the drill bits flutes from jamming up and inadvertently boring my hole bigger. When I polish I do a little on the inside of the cap because I feel like it makes the threads work better (that could totally be in my head too). I hope this helps thanks for the feedback.

OZturner

What a Pen, Jeff, That is one that will really "Stand Out from the Crowd"
Considering where you were at, when you decided to "Tone it Down".
I don't think you could have done any better.
You have Great Lines, Terrific Proportions, which have given you a Magnificent Profile.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom