Latest Japanning (Urushi Imitation) attempt - lots of pics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jontello

Jontello

This is my latest attempt at a Japanning look. I think it turned out good. Here a very brief description of the process. Couldn't even tell you the amount of layers cause I lost count. Lots of time but totally worth it.

Started with a transparent acrylic blank. Turned it past the bushings cause I knew I was going to build up the material with layers of painting and ca. There were a ton of layers that went into this. Each a very transparent paint and then some ca and painting again. Wanted to get a lot of depth. Added Italian gold leaf , more paint and the final layers were a transparent brown. Then sealed it all with CA. I think it turned out great. The gold shoes through well when the light hits it right. One day I will learn how to use actual urushi.

Thanks for looking.

Jon

a02226e720b7bf6f0c7cd3203848c1fd.jpg
fb0628784e155659e0dac576016933fd.jpg
624971bf65e72cb37750be92e8739c7d.jpg
ae2abea86d2c921c4f79e8fd4a079002.jpg
43820464458aced53df0c4522ce60515.jpg
8879236eb0a13d674998f6adb6e93bff.jpg
f7acfd05eb3f2021adb5f9cf7f9a76a5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

Very impressive, I love it! The last layer of brown paint makes the pen very elegant.
What kind of transparent paint do you use ?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful artistry Jon!

I really like the more transparant look as you can more readily see the underlayers. This one is especially nice. Almost looks like gold leaf.

NICE.

OZturner

Magnificent Pen Jon,
Fantastic Display of your Skill as an Artist, and of Your Vision and Patience.
Incredible Depth and Complexity,
Superb Fit and Finish,
Magnificent Choice of Gold Hardware to Display your "Canvas".
Congratulations,
Brian.

leehljp

Member Liaison
You have far more patience than I have! Beautiful, beautiful work.

I will add one comment on "looking Japanese". Japanese urushi and specifically on their finishes, they are strong in their adherence to "shine". On some woods they do use flat finishes so that it looks like pure wood. However on "painted" or "finishes", their outer finish is not satin or flat but highly shining.

Many people in other cultures prefer to see the real wood or real colors in finishes and choose a "satin" and even flat type of finish. But not in Japan. There are a few skilled people there that may use or personally like a less shiny finish, but that is rare.

As a bit of trivia, (and I know the you are in Italy), here in the USA, we have in some specialty stores a kind of thinner for mixing with lacquer called "Japan Dryers". After being over there for about 15 years, I found out why I could not find it. "Japan Dryers" was an American made product to cause non Japanese kind of lacquers (or urushi) to dry in a fashion like urushi and give a mild urushi like quality. So they did not have "Japan Dryers" there. They didn't need it!

Last edited:

Jontello

Glad you all like it. Thanks so much for your compliments. Learning a lot in creating this look.

I wish I could do a process for you all but it is hard to say. I use so many different types of paints. Sometimes varnishes and oil paints, acrylics, inks, and others I find. And I keep putting layers on until I like the look. Just the same thing I do when I paint a painting. No real process just making it up as I go. If any of you all are ever in Italy look me up and I can show you.

Hank. I totally wish this had a better shine. The pics do not do it justice on the shine. It is finished with a CA finish and has an incredible glasslike finish. I try to photograph them without as much of a reflection so that you can see the material. I am glad you liked it. One day I will dabble into the Urushi. Maybe after I visit Martin in Switzerland. Hopefully sometime soon.

Jon.

Top Bottom