Latest Antler Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dougle40

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougle40

Finished this one to-day . Deer Antler with a Honduran Rosewood center band.

200412275236_Deer%20Antler%20001-1%20sm%20-%20SM.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Doug, very nice pen, I really like the design on the bottom barrel and the center band in rosewood is beautifull, but......I am not sold on the design of the top barrel/ To me, it just dosen't blend in with the rest of the pen. But looking at a photo and actually holding & looking at a pen, is to different things, just my thoughts. Nice work. Anthony

tipusnr

As long as we are speaking constructively, the top does appear to have a bit more bulk than I would like to see. I like the flat spot under the clip though and wonder if it would have been turned away had the top been any slimmer. Still the overall pen design is good and, I believe, quite user friendly...good work Doug.

P.S. Remember these are comments from someone who doesn't turn bone or antler and has no idea what kind of unique situations you run into.

dougle40

Anthony,
The top barrel was left that way in order to keep some of the natural outer material of the antler . Even though it seems a little unbalanced , it actually feels very well balanced in your hand .

Bill,
Yes , if I had taken more off the barrel , I would have lost the outer coating of the antler which I wanted there for appearance sake. If you could see under the clip , you'd see that there isn't any outer antler at all where it starts to taper .

I really appreciate all the comments and constructive criticism . I have another one drilled and glued up right now that I purposly drilled off center and at an angle from top to bottom to see if I can keep some of the outer antler on both sides of the pen instead of only the front .

G

FWIW
I start out with at least one corner/side of my antler blanks square for more accurate drilling.
I read somewhere a certain turner likes to have some of the "natural finish" on the pen.
For me it's the luck of the draw.
Much of my antler stock is so thick that many times I don't get the outer part at all.
In that case a good tick coat of CA gives the pen an antique look.
Many times I wind up with almost "pure ivory"
That's good too,in that case I "sculpt" the pen
When I get a lot of different colors in the antler I like to let them "do the talking"
Most of my antler pens(95%) never have the outer core on them and they sell well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom