Latest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcoelho

jcoelho

Hi everyone!
Here are my recent turnings.
First is a churchill fountain, both kit and blank from Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods.
Second is a set of cigar pen + pencil + letter opener in madrone, kits also from Ernie.
Going to make a nice box for the cigar set but haven't quite got to it yet.
Sorry for the not so good pictures, still trying to find a good set up.
Comments appreciated.

IMG_6947.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Beautiful !!! My favorite is the Churchill fountain pen. The kit and blank are made for each other. Thanks so much for showing. Regards, Doc

chrisk

Very nice. The Churchill is outstanding indeed.
The Cigar set is beautiful also but IMHO the Madrone's beauty is lost in the perspective.
Thanks for sharing.

robutacion

Great pens, mate.

The finish on the wood surfaces looks flawless, well done...!:wink:

I posted some questions to you on someone else's thread a few weeks back, I didn't check the thread out for some time so I didn't know that you have answered my questions, and you have also asked a few in return so, now that this is your own thread, here is my answer;

Your Post,

Hi George,

I'm located in Caldas da Rainha, near the coast, not far from Lisbon.
Have you been here?
Pen turning is not that popular over here very few people doing it as far as I know, turning in general is only seen as accessory woodworking activity...
You are right, there are great woods here although burls are not that common and mostly discarded before someone gets to them, since most woodworking done is furniture related.
The wood you mention could be an Oak (commonly known as Carvalho here), which has several species, the Cork Tree (Sobreiro) being on and so is Azinheiro which I believe is known as Holly Oak, this may br the one you refer to as it can grow up to 10m tall and be very durable, it is still used to build houses, boats, etc.
It is also the type of wood used for wine/spirits barrels.

Still working on my English being good, though

Me...!:biggrin:

Oh yes, I've been there a few hundreds of times...!:eek: in fact, I was born in Marrazes, lived in Pombal until the age of 18 and then lived in Leiria, right to the age of 30, when I left the country once and for all and come to Australia in 1987. I know/knew that area like the palm of my hands.:)

In regards to the wood I mention previously, the one that I was referring to, as the one most used in fine furniture and found mostly in the far North of the country is indeed the "Carvalho", I got mixed up with the trees from the Alentejo area such as the Azinheiro and the Sobreiro. One other I remember, they called the Carvalheiro, which I can't remember exactly where it is found mostly. Is even possible that both mean the same thing, and that I'm all confused about it...!:frown:

I would suggest you to have a good look around in your area, for tree species that will produce great wood for pens and other turnings. You have plenty of old Olive trees not far from you, plenty of very nice old fruit trees, an many other species that grow in peoples yards that, sooner or later need trimming or cutting down. There will be also the Council timber guys that will be one of the best sources of cheap wood, sometimes free but, those guys like the carton of beer or a "garafao the vinho" (wine in a gallon glass container with either plastic or laced tough grass/straw type, covering it...!) well, that's not that much different up here, I get surprised how far one can go with a carton of beer with some fellows...!:eek::biggrin:

I will ask you a favor tough, next time you go trough the Pinhal the Leiria, take your camera with you at take a few pics of the resin pots installed on those magnificent special pine trees for resin collection. I'm particular interested in a couple of close ups of the cut they make in the tree bark to bleed/allow the resin to flow into those pots.

If you can would be great if you can't, no problem...!

There are a few things and places I miss from my birth country but not much else...!

Now, you take care and keep making nice pens...!

Cheers
George

jcoelho

Thank you all for the kind replies!
The churchill was not an easy piece, it's the result of a shattered blank and very, very light cuts. It took a while to turn. Made me learn a few things along the way.

George, thank you for the tips, will have to go wood 'hunting' around here.
That 'garrafao de vinho' you mentioned gave me a good laugh, it's true, it can take you a long way. :biggrin:

I will certainly send you some pics of those pots. Those pine trees really are something special, I specially like it when the ground is covered in fern. It's a beautiful sight.

jcoelho

Here are the pictures of the resin pots George (robutacion) was talking about, this process is all done by hand and the trees are never cut down unless they start getting hazardous (risk of falling, risk of fire and so on), there is even a law protecting those trees form being fallen.
I'll also attach a small view of the group of trees where I got the pics from, It's not the biggest patch of wood from the "Pinhal the Leiria" but was the best I could do this time. :redface:

Anyway, enough writing, here go the pictures...

IMG_6951.jpg

IMG_6953.jpg

IMG_6954.jpg

IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6958.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom