Lastet attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron in Drums PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red oak has big open pores that would look like divots on a finished pen. I filled in the pores with an oil slurry using Waterlox. I applied the oil while the lathe is spinning fast and add enough pressure until I see a little smoke. The wood felt dry in about an hour and I applied a few coats of CA.

I used a slimline pen and as you can tell I left out the center band so I could turn to a finished size of 7/16". Still a little short for my taste, but the wife prefers this length to the full size slimlines.

One disappointment was that when this wood was square it has a real nice figure and chatoyancy. Once I turn the wood it was all lost.

2005423182643_Red%20Oak%20Slimline%20s.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Yep, oak can be a pain to work with for pens, but you did a fine job with this one, it turned out really nice!

I made a cross cut red oak pen and used a black chrome slimline kit that turned out pretty good. But I don't mess to much with the oak unless its burl or spalted anymore.

swm6500

Nice pen Ron, I am not real crazy about oak either. It is agravating to have a piece of wood that looks like it will make a great pen and it turns out to be a plain pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom