Last Years Boomerang Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
There're BAAAAAACK!!!

OK, so last year I had 6 - 12 months of penturning under my lathe.

As others, my finish was a wax based friction polish that lasted, oh, 12 minutes!

Wifey is slowly bringing back those pens... Boomerangs! (at my request!).

The ones that the fittings are still good, I'm slowly disassembling and refinishing (a few were good :)). I'm using General's Wood Turners Finish.

PLEASE COMMENT if you think Behlin's is better.

Please excuse the photography deficits... This is a very green Buckeye burl.

There was a noticable crack which I had originally filled with CA/sawdust, not a bad job, but I decided to clean it out and try a red coral fill with CA. I liked the result and wifey was pleased (can anything be better???).

Comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The coral adds something to the pen...
How did you clean the CA/dust out?

Scott (nice finish) B

Started with an exacto knife, then with a small dremel bit. Nothing precise, just back to the basic fissure - then filled. This was my first foray into inlay, and it went well. I have less concern with the inlay than my finish!

Not a lot of luck with CA, but the WTF has gone well with the last 3 pens. The shine is not quite as glossy as CA, but polyurethanes may be the way to go (for me).

My wife strongly prefers polyurethanes (less toxic, less brittle, almost as nice of a sheen, and feels good - not as "plasticky"). She is a polymer chemist :frown:

plano_harry

I like. My wife won't let go of pen #1 for me to refinish. I am a CA guy, but lots of people use WTF.

Nice looking pen. Good fill.

Harry

tgsean

Wow Mark that's very brave of you to try that and it looks great now. I used to do only a friction polish finish before and it looked great, and felt good too, but the sheen wears very quickly especially those who have moist hands or oily hands. So I had to convert to CA. After the CA I buff with white diamond, and then lastly apply ren wax and it seems to take way the plastic look. At least I think so, maybe give it a try.

OZturner

Nice Operation, and the Patient survived, though is bleeding profusely.
More importantly SWMBO is Happy.
Beautiful Buckeye Burl.
Great Work Dr. Mark.
Congratulations,
Brian.
P..Have you tried Renaissance Wax as suggested by tgsean?
It is a Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish, developed and used by the British Museum to protect their Exhibits.
It is not cheap, but you use so little. As well as protecting the surface, it resists marking by fingers etc. - works well over CA.
Highly recommend it if you haven't already tried it.
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Brian:

YES! I have been using it as a final step, and buff afterwards.

I have also started liking General's Wood turners Finish - A Water-based Polyurethane (Wifey prefers it due to low toxicity). It dries quick, but is thin so you need many coats, but I have had NO problems getting the bushings off with no breakage/chipping). Slightly less gloss than CA, but less finicky...foe me.

I will order some Doctors Pen Plus next as that is very well recommended.

Take Care!

Top Bottom