Last two for a long time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jyreene

jyreene

Hey all, it's been some time since I have been active and about that long since I've been able to make a pen. I've been busy with many things. Anyways, I'm moving soon and got the chance to spend some time with a good friend in the shop, and unfortunately the last time for a while. Since it had been so long he reminded me of the steps that go into a pen.

This first one is a vintage style rollerball. It's reminiscent of a Pelikan 400, just used it as a style guide since I do like Pelikans! The cap, finial and section are ebonite. The body is vintage checkered cellulose acetate...celluloid...whatever it's being called now.

Overall Length - tad over 5"
Cap Length - tad over 2"
Body Length - 4 3/4"

Cap to body is 12mm triple
Finials are 9x.75 singles
Front section is 10x1

(For those that care a tad to me is officially 1/16")

image-3542849568.jpg

image-2001873576.jpg

This next one I tried to use the 2/3 rule. It worked out fairly well, I think. I tried the finial, and the body end shaped the same (using some styling cues from vintage pens. The front section I was putting my own spin on my friends style. I'm mostly happy with that part but I think I should have slimmed it down more. The blank was one of his also that he made for me a few years ago. I finally found the time and style to use it. It was made to resemble damascus steel. The unturned blank did, turned it does not, but I do think it's a great looking blank. It is allumilite.

Nib is two tone Jowo #6
Overall length - 6 3/4" with two tads
Cap length - 2 3/4" with half a tad
Body length - 5" with two tads

Cap to body is 13mm triple
Finial and front section is 10x1

image-1173647863.jpg

image-1332225213.jpg

I would have entered them in the Summer contest (well one) but I can't use a commercial nose cone (even if I could use commercial feeds) even though to me if you can use commercial feeds and nibs you should be able to use commercial nose cones.

Big thanks go out to Jonathon Brooks. He's always helped me with pens and has greatly improved my skills. He has become a great friend and will be missed while I'm gone. Thanks Jonathon.

C&C welcome.

image-2403759344.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

SteveG

I much enjoyed viewing your two pens, and hearing the thoughts that went into the design decisions. Execution is excellent, and the results are quite nice!

The back story of not being able to work pens for now is sad. But I can look forward to when you are able to get back to pen making. We have fought (figuratively speaking) for some of the nice materials that have come up for sale from time to time. You have made good use of that "old stuff".

jyreene

I much enjoyed viewing your two pens, and hearing the thoughts that went into the design decisions. Execution is excellent, and the results are quite nice! The back story of not being able to work pens for now is sad. But I can look forward to when you are able to get back to pen making. We have fought (figuratively speaking) for some of the nice materials that have come up for sale from time to time. You have made good use of that "old stuff".

Thanks Steve. I think I've come a long way from the first pen I made about 8 years ago. I do look forward to re-learning the entire process when I get back. At least this time I go I get to bring my family with me.

PenPal

There are very few pens to like uncapped yours hits all the best places for me gave me quite a lift for my day its 7 am Friday here Thanks indeed for showing, the detail you added and all the best in the future mate.

Kind regards Peter.

jyreene

There are very few pens to like uncapped yours hits all the best places for me gave me quite a lift for my day its 7 am Friday here Thanks indeed for showing, the detail you added and all the best in the future mate. Kind regards Peter.

Thanks Peter. Glad I could make your day a little brighter. Soon I will be a lot closer yet still quite far.

bobleibo

I would have entered them in the Summer contest (well one) but I can't use a commercial nose cone (even if I could use commercial feeds) even though to me if you can use commercial feeds and nibs you should be able to use commercial nose cones.

View attachment 136353

There are no such rules in the Slimline Unlimited and the Contest for the Turning Challenged. Just saying....

As much as I try to avoid giving Derek's contest any free advertising, I have to agree...those would have done well in a "certain" contest......
same goes for many of those who have posted recent works on the show-me-your-pens pages.....HINT HINT

Top Bottom