Last Nights Works

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from martyb

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyb

Made it back to the shop first time since before the holidays.
First, a Black TI Sierra in Macadamia (courtesy of BigRob)
tn_HPIM0512.jpg

The finish is actually much better than the photo suggests. I moved my photo booth and need to purchase an additional lamp to accentuate the finish again.

2nd is an Amboyna burl slimline in satin nickel. You wonder why waste a great piece of Amboyna like that on a slimline? Well, it was only 5/8" square off ebay.
tn_HPIM0514.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Nice pens. FYI, with the exception of the Panache, almost every pen kit can be made with a 5/8" square blank, regardless of what the supplier's website or instructions say.

martyb

Lou, I would agree, except with these blanks. I did manage to squeeze 1 Jr Gentlemen out of this batch of Amboyna, then blew out 2 other blanks trying to drill for a Baron. These blanks were supposedly "stabilized" but are not hardened in any way. That makes drilling with tight tolerances difficult.
I've got some wild 5/8" pommeled Bubinga that I'm pretty sure I can slip a baron or Jr Statesman into. In fact, I think I hear them chanting for a Jr.S FP right now.
But these sticks are just too soft for it.

Scott

I think these both look excellent! That shape on the slimline is very interesting, not run-of-the-mill, and yet not to wild. A very nice look! Good work!

Scott.

martyb

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
As most of you do, I look at my own work and immediately start to pick it apart on how I could do it better. After several months of that, my technique and process are starting to show the refinement. The biggest change for me and advice I can give newbies, turn faster, move slower (except when working with CA).
And on the majority of pens, you'll eliminate a lot of potential headaches by turning 1 barrel at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom