Last few Weeks' worth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

Do you prefer to paint tubes under mica PR?

• Always

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Never

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KDM

Been busy over the last few weeks, but every so often, I go to the lathe. Here's a Yellow and blue mica pigment swirl PR on a Euro pen. The fat body feels really good. I didn't paint the tubes, so (particularly at the nib end) they can be seen, but I actually quite like the effect.

(As ever, click photos for enlargements.)

This one's my first double-ender (oooo-errr!). AKA "Teacher's Pen," it has a twist transmission at each end: one black and one red. It would be quite useful if I could find a way to make a pen at one end and a pencil at the other. (Any ideas?)

The most recent one is going to be part of a pen / pencil / letter opener (and possibly cufflinks!) set. (07-Oct-2010 Update: here it is...) I managed to take a big gouge out of it when it was nearly finished, so I'll strip it down to recover the tubes and restart with a fresh blank. Again, I'm not sure what to think of the visible tubes.(Ergo, the poll above!) I may paint them black next time just to see.

The blank for this one can be seen here.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

They look nice

ALWAYS paint any acrylic blanks to be safe. I usually paint white but different color can give different results.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I voted never..... Now thats not 100% true but its close. I try to pick pre-set tubes... white, chrome or black ti whenever i can and know that the blank will be more see through.

Oh.. and why hide the results? Some others may be interested in the answer.

Last edited:

KDM

Ooooh. Dunno how I cocked that up. It was supposed to show the results to anyone who voted. I hope it shows the results in 2 weeks when the poll closes. Can an admin modify this?

For the meantime, the votes are Always: 9, Sometimes: 10, Never: 1.

KDM

Poll Results are in

Well, one thing's for sure: a lot of folk who answered "never" to the question "Do you prefer to paint the tubes under mica PR?" are probably painting the inside of the blanks rather than the tubes.

I shall have to learn how to ask the correct question!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, one thing's for sure: a lot of folk who answered "never" to the question "Do you prefer to paint the tubes under mica PR?" are probably painting the inside of the blanks rather than the tubes.

I shall have to learn how to ask the correct question!

After you post a few polls, you will realize the following:
1) you are allowed up to ten choices, pick ten.
2) write the question and your answers, then consider what other answers would be nice (to get up to ten)
3) write the additional questions, then change the number of answers desired to the number you now have (you can change this on the poll page that you have used to write the questions)
4) decide if there is any reason NOT to show the results, like you want people to truly vote as they think, not as the poll shows "most" think.

Use these steps and remember not to hit "post" too early and things go well.

FWIW

KDM

Heh! You're entirely correct.

Interestingly, my 10 y/o has a homework today to create a multiple-choice questionnaire! One of his questions was:

"How many brothers and sisters do you have?"
A) none
B) one
C) two
D) more than three

Imagine explaining the folly there!

Top Bottom