Lasered Dancer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

A gift for a dance instructor. Didn't think the laser carved deep enough to fill, so I just put several coats of CA on the whole pen to fill in the engraving. It was kind of an experiment, but I liked how it turned out.

Attachments

• Dancer0002-7734.jpg
    Dancer0002-7734.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 380
  • Dancer0001-7733.jpg
    Dancer0001-7733.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 327
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

What kind of laser do you use?

It was one of those little 1500mw units, mine's a Mertek- but I'm pretty sure it and the NEJE, Qiilu, etc. are all the same.

I have one of the 3d printed attachments that will rotate the pen so you can engrave on the curved surface. But I'm still tinkering with that and not yet to the point where I trust it on a keeper. So for this, I simply taped the pen down to the bed and apparently the focus was wide enough that the variable distance across the small engraving didn't matter. The engraving was 1/4" wide and 1/2" tall.

MikeL

Looks very nice. Engraving is not overstated at all which, for my taste, makes this pen top notch.

budnder

Thanks all for the kind words.

I'm not a big fan of engraving...

I'm not either, at least not in the traditional, "design to the right of the clip" approach. Same with inlays that are "one sided". It just looks unbalanced to me. That was the experiment part of this really, to see what a little adornment would look like, and if it would end up being too small.

To my eye engravings tend to do more to detract from a pen's beauty rather than add to it. Such is not the case here. The size and placement are perfect so it adds to the overall beauty. This is a good lesson in restraint, you did exactly what needed to be done and no more. Very nicely done.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks all for the kind words.

I'm not a big fan of engraving...

I'm not either, at least not in the traditional, "design to the right of the clip" approach. Same with inlays that are "one sided". It just looks unbalanced to me. That was the experiment part of this really, to see what a little adornment would look like, and if it would end up being too small.

I'll agree with both Steve and Roy; engraving can be distracting.

But in this case, the pattern is very subtle, very attractive, and very complimentary to the blank.

Well done!

Top Bottom