Laser engraved & dyed CA, my first attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cincelaser

Cincelaser

I was searching in the forum but I can find any info about dyed CA, so I made a little experiment this afternoon.

By request, my friend and IAP member Lane223 send me some wood tubes for my laser engraving experiments (I own a lathe but not tools to work and experience still), so I engraved those tubes and painted one of them with metalic acrylic paint, let dry and applied a lot o CA coats. Sanding and polishing did the rest (first attached image) but I don't like the result so much, you can't appreciate the metalic effect.

For the second attempt I mixed medium CA with Inlace Metallic Blue dye to fill the engraving with good results. Rotating the pen in your hands you can see the same metallic reflections that you are accustomed to seeing in any metallic resin blanks.

I'm sure that there is a way to do the same with less work!

Attachments

• Sierra Prueba.jpg
    Sierra Prueba.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 331
  • Sierra Toloko Azul.jpg
    Sierra Toloko Azul.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 317
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

That is one very cool pattern. I thought I had heard people on here talking about dying CA, but don't remember the details. I do know that 10-2P or whatever sells a kit with coloring powders, so based on that and your examples, it's quite obvious it works...

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If you want to give yourself more working time you could try using 5 or 15 minute epoxy rather than ca. Then you can sand it smooth and top-coat with CA for your final finish. Works great and you aren't in quite as much of a "panic mode" trying to get the CA mixed and in place before it sets.

I really like the laser pattern and that blue pen turned out awesome!!

Cincelaser

Thanks for the info gtekell. I'll try with epoxy next time for sure!. I was anxious to see the result as soon as possible for those ones.
The pattern is based in Tokolo patterns (Tokolo.com). There are a set of tiles that can be rotated or fliped and always match with the contiguous ones, so I can create a new pattern in a few clicks, making each pen unique.

Top Bottom