Laser engraved with a bit of paint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dmechie

Dmechie

Had a bit of time with a rainy weekend and I thought I'd experiment with the little engraver I have (a Neje). I painted the engravings and covered over with CA before finishing. Made a small mistake and sanded through the finish on the Celtic knot blank and the new CA didn't blend with the old, any thoughts on this short of resanding back to bare wood?

I've been around for a while, mostly lurking. Really enjoyed the site for inspiration and tips. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_20190106_191112574.jpg
    IMG_20190106_191112574.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_20190106_191019228.jpg
    IMG_20190106_191019228.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 279
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Hi Derrick,
I must be still getting over the Christmas and New Year Festivities, as I am having some difficulty understanding what "Is the Problem you are having".
As I read it, and using my words.
You used your Neje Laser Engraver to engrave the Celtic Knot.
Then you painted over the engraving, with Green and Wood Brown paint, over which you then covered the now Painted Engravings with CA.
You tried finishing with CA to Finally Finish the Pen Blank.
But the CA over the Painted Engraving, was at a different level, and noticeable to the Pen Blank Finish. -
Is this your problem you are experiencing?

I have found CA to be an Excellent Finish, but you cannot and will not necessarily make a rough or undulating finish Smooth, unless you fill all the Low Sections up to the same Height of the High Sections, then with a very fine Abrasive such as Micro Mesh, using all the grades up to the 12000, to level the Finish to a Common level, and smoothness.

Well that is a "Popular Desired Belief", but in Practice it is Desirable to use the Abrasive on the High Section eg (Painted Sections), to bring them in line and smoothness with the Lower or Major Surface, before applying the Final Finishing.

I know that is not necessarily what you are wanting to hear, but I would use abrasive to remove the Finish Coat you have applied, then with Micro Mesh, Polish the Engraving to a Common Level Surface and Fine Finish, so that the Final Finish can be applied completely over the Blank.
Of Course I have not seen the Blank, and there may be other satisfactory methods.
But I firmly believe that a Fine Abrasive Finish has to be built on the Base of the Bare Blank, before any Finish or Engraving takes place.
Then after the Engraving or Painted Infill etc, is Abraded to the same degree as the Blank Base, with the Applied Finish being equally covered over the Blank, and Final Abrasion applied to obtain a Level and Smooth Finish.

Please let us know how you get on.
I hope this all makes sense I am now being called for Dinner.
Regards,
Brian.

Dmechie

Hi Brian,
The issue was not as much with the low spots, though they did take a while to fill and sand smooth, but rather, I sanded through the finish at one point on the edge of the blank, and after recoating with CA, it did not blend with the rest of the finish. So, you can see where i sanded through and refinished.

ramaroodle

How'd you do this? Looks great! Can barely see the flaws you're talking about. Curious to now how you managed to use 2 colors and still get clean lines??

Last edited:
Top Bottom