Largest commission to date

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darbytee

Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

I just finished my first large commission. It is an order of 50 slimlines for a local shipping company to use as gifts for their drivers. The choice of wood was left to me and varied from tulipwood to pecan to oak to just about anything else in between. I'm glad to be done with this one and probably won't be turning any slimlines for a few days.

20041030165814_50pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

That is a lot of pens ! Being able to turn in assorted woods probably made it easier. Nice going. Your next order will probably be for 500 or 1000 . . .

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Congrats on the order darbytee...

...looks like you used plastic tubes to protect the pens, just wondering if you left the slimlines loose in the tube or had some kind of something to keep them from moving...I have a boatload of the tubes myself but haven't gotten to the point of using any like that _yet_...

Thanks,
JohnPayton

jrc

I use the triangle tubes and think they work best. I take a packing peanut cut to the lenght needed to keep them from sliding in the tube. If they slide back forth it will scrach the wood and clip if there handled much. I also have a little slip of parment paper with text about my pens in each tube. That realy helps with orders.

darbytee

Kirk, I've been working on them off and on for about 3 weeks. It's a Christmas order, so I had plenty of lead time on it. I see from your profile that you're in Oklahoma City. We're going to be moving to Enid in just a couple of weeks.

John, This is the first time I've used the tubes. To this point I've just used them for tracking. 50 tubes filled = 50 pens done. I will be putting some text in with each pen to describe the wood and caring for it. The packing peanut is a good idea.

PenWorks

Great job Fred, I commend you. I wouldn't even want to think of turning 50 of anything. I have a hard enough time making 5 of something. Must be because I'm a Gemini. Don't want to get to personal, but what is your price per pen for an order of 50 or 100 ? Just curuois. Anthony

darbytee

Anthony, I normally charge $20 for a standard 24k slimline and I eat the sales tax. For 50, I sold them for $15 each plus sales tax. I'm hoping that this will be an "in" with this company. If so there is lots of sales potential year round for promotions, holidays, retirements, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom