Larch Bark Patriot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from patmurris

patmurris

Hi all! :)

This is yet another 'experiment' with an unusual material i recently collected in the southern Alps. The Larch bark is rather soft and somewhat brittle, but with the help of a little CA, nothing's impossible. :biggrin:

Ecorce%20De%20Meleze%2001_800.jpg

Ecorce%20De%20Meleze%2002_800.jpg

Ecorce%20De%20Meleze%2004_800.jpg

Tournage%20Stylos%20125_800.jpg

I'm quiet happy with the colors and patterns! :tongue:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom D

Cet ia un beau stylo.
The materials that pen turners find to make their pens out of is just amazing. It is a beautiful pen

robutacion

Pat,

I've never seen that bark before and I'm amazed with the texture and colours within its composition. No doubt, a excellent candidate to be used with Curtis stabilizing system...!:wink:

Soaking it with 50/50 PVA glue and water, or put them in a pressure pot with some dilute PR, will help to strengthen then just enough to become workable, CA soaking may be require as the blank gets turned away to finished sizes but, apart from the extra work, many of these softer materials may require, the end results sure pay off, big time...!

There is no doubt/argument/discussion, on the materials people in our days use/introduce to pen making, as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier...!!!:biggrin: choices, choices and more choices, huh...???:wink:

Great find, Pat...!

Cheers
George

drgoretex

Nice bark work!

Good to see someone using bark for pens - I have used bark a few times in my fly-fishing rodbuilding as an alternative to cork, and it comes out very sweet. Glad to see it can be used elsewhere! Thanks for posting!

Ken

Top Bottom