Lanes Flames

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
After opening my big mouth and critiqueing one of Lane Brown's (Lanes223) flame pens a few weeks ago, :redface: he kindly made one for me to have a go with...:)

I love the pen but the finish is not great, esp on the cap. Try as I might, I just couldn't get it right. I guess this is why I mostly do plastics:redface:

I have no idea what the woods are, but I think the lighter one is Olive wood, maybe the dark one is cocobolo? Maybe if Lane see's it then he can confirm.

Many thanks Lane, apologies for the finish though. I'll have another go next weekend:biggrin:

Attachments

• LanesFlame1.jpg
    LanesFlame1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 373
  • LanesFlame2.jpg
    LanesFlame2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 302
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
:) Stilla good looking pen Sreve.

More pleasing is your willingness to talk about your problems (with the pen).:):):)

LOL, I was going to make a comment about my phsychiatrist agreeing with you, but then you altered your reply:tongue:

Christopher, it's a Retro

Ligget

That is an amazing blank Steve and it certainly suits that hardware, keep practicing your CA finish on scraps of wood, I am going to try spray lacquer as a finish just for something new to learn.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Many thanks for all the nice comments but as you know, Lane did all the hard work. I had some time this morning ( working nights)and re-finished the cap. It's much better. :biggrin:

I'm not sure if Lane is planning on selling these kit blanks, but I certainly hope so. It is one of my favourites for sure.
However, if you get one then be warned as there are some pretty small pieces:eek: The dark part ( I think everyone agrees is Wenge ) is made from several parts. The lighter part is solid( one piece ) I think that due to Lanes excellent planning and choice of wood, it is impossible to see the join lines between the bits.

I chickened out of using tools to turn it down and so settled on good old sandpaper :redface:. I'm glad I did cos I would have been really p'd if I wrecked it.:biggrin:

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
wow. I would love to have one of those to put on the only ultra cigar kit I have.only problem being a county cop I can't afford one!!!!!

SamThePenMan

Wow nice! I like both the blank and the pen kit! I don't notice the join lines in the photos. Also the finish looks great to me, but I know how critical one can be of their own pens. (Warning: Long story below.)

I'm always finding something wrong with the ones I make and others that see them say "what are you talking about?" :) Even on a snakewood baron I made, both the upper and lower barrels split all the way down the length of the blank when drilling, one of the barrels split 3 times I believe. I got the blanks for free so they didn't cost me anything but because of how nice the wood looks and how rare it is I thought it would be a shame to just toss it. Luckily they split nicely so it was easy to glue back together and make a pen out of them, though there are lines where they were glued together. Most people dont seem to notice though! I also had a problem putting the cap on, I don't remember what happened but I ended up trrying to CA the cap in but the glue dried before I could press it on all the way so now it's got about a 1/4" gap between the cap and the wood. It's been a few years now so maybe I can break it loose and try again.

Again, awesome pen! I agree with Butch, you should try wood pens more often. You just have to take a little bit longer with the finish as sometimes you have to let it soak into the wood and then reapply.

lane223

Leave it to USAFEVET to get it right. The USAF and especially us retired types are very smart ;) Yep, Olivewood and Wenge. I used the wenge because of its black and brown stripes hide the epoxy glue lines very well.

lane223

My bad: USAFVET98 got it right. I guess to much time in USAFE (United States Air Force - Europe) when I was active duty.

Yes, we will be selling these kits shortly. Now we are calculating a fair price since we grow each and every one of the wenge and olivewood trees ;)

At the moment we are making these in the Jr.Gentleman/Retro size. If we get enough requests for another type/size of pen we can go that way too.

Top Bottom