Laminated segmented cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

My eldest son was over for Thanksgiving and we brewed up a new way to make segmented blanks. I had gotten a scroll saw and this sparked a whole slew of what-ifs.
We finally gravitated toward cutting curved patterns in the blank and gluing in contrasting colors of wood and squeezing the blank back together in a vise until the glue dried. My son also tried out using constuction paper with CA with limited success.
The wood veneer did best with titebond type glue as the water in the glue softened the wood for bending to some degree.
As we were playing with this I got the bright idea of cutting some 1/4" plugs from some red oak and putting these into the blank.
The pictures show the blank two side and the pen I made from it two sides.
I started with drilling and plugging the mahogany blank, then cutting the curve on one side, gluing in a purpleheart and a padauk strip, drying it overnight, then on the adjacent side cutting a curve and gluing in a sandwich of 2 padauk strips and a wild cherry strip.
Turned it, polished and finished with CA.

Attachments

• curve-laminate-blank.jpg
    curve-laminate-blank.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 309
  • curve-laminate-cigar.jpg
    curve-laminate-cigar.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 404
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

Heres the next try, black walnut with paduak veneer sandwiched in two maple veneers. I left out the oak plugs, thought they wouldn't help the design here.
I made cuts on two sides, managed to get a flame figure on the lower barrel from both sides.
I know I've seen patterns like this playing with the old dos Fractint program.

Attachments

• blk-walnut-swirl.jpg
    blk-walnut-swirl.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 159

wiset1

Now we're talking! I love the creativity and use of the wooden dowel rods. I did something like this on a segmented pen, but the woods were too close in color and you couldn't really tell. This on the other hand looks amazing. You've really hit on something here!

wiset1

Instead of the paper you could use thin styrene craft sheets or even thin brass and aluminum sheets as well. Just an idea...but this still looks cool as hell.

Top Bottom