Laminated Euro (bandless)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Czarcastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czarcastic

This is a PSI PK-MONT kit. I didn't want a center band so I extended the upper barrel. Gives the pen a more cohesive look.
Curly Maple and dyed stabilized box Elder Burl. Thanks for looking.
2woodpen2.jpg

2woodpen1.jpg

-Czarcastic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Interesting wood selections. The lamination looks great! What glue did you use? Do you think the removal of the CB will make the exposed end more likely to chip/crack? I thought about doing something similar with a Baron/Jr. Gent, but so far, I think I'd rather have metal there to take the hits, rather than wood. However, I'd love to get the feedback of someone like you, who has much more woodworking experience than I do!

Nice job with the shape, too.

wayneis

You did a very nice job, my only suggestion would be bringing the darker wood up into the top barrell more, even it out or center it between the two halves. To me it looks a little bottom heavy in the distribution of the woods. I like it without a centerband and the choise of wood is also very good. All in all I'd give it a B+

Wayne

Czarcastic

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Do you think the removal of the CB will make the exposed end more likely to chip/crack?

<b>Jim: over time it might, but if you look closely at the photo, you will see that the end of the cap (where the center band should be) is slightly beveled inward. I did this to prevent any "Catches" that might chip the wood. It would have to take a pretty hard, direct hit to chip the end.</b>
&lt;&lt;edit to add:&gt;&gt; BTW, its just Tightbond III. Its wood-to-wood and I think plain-old wood glue is best for that. &lt;&lt;end edit&gt;&gt;

Originally posted by Wayneis<br />To me it looks a little bottom heavy in the distribution of the woods.

<b>Wayne: I agree. Next one will be more balanced. Thanks for your honest input.</b>

-Czarcastic

David

Manny said: "Why couldn't I think of that. Looks great."

I agree, I just finished 12 of this kit and had a huge "duh" feeling when I saw the pic.

David

At first look, the balance of the wood is not noticeable, however when you think about where your eye goes at second glance, it IS brought downward. the previous suggetion is a good one.
Still, it looks attractive and desirable. Nice combo.

atvrules1

This one really caught my attention. Very nice job, good call on color combo. I also think that balancing out the center would help, but its a striking pen anyway. Excellent. Keep these coming. Also congrats on having the kids turning, that is wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom