See more from Jim Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Boyd

Maple with holly and black veneer.

MaplewithhollyandblackcelticknotSma.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

That is what I love about this place someone gets an idea and others start to run with it. I think that looks great.

Beautiful!

No Bleed, glue lines are perfect! Not an easy thing to do with with ebony and holly.

Positioning is right on.

I tip my hat to your sir.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Dyed venner does not make it any easier to prevent bleed. BTW, How wide is your kerf?

Constatines has some great stuff, don't they.
I noticed that the lamination has to be the same thickness as the kerf. I am using a Dewalt thin kerf 7 1/2" circular saw blade. I was lucky and had some veneer scraps and found they fit the saw kerf on my pen blank crosscut sled so I have not had to measure yet.

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
I noticed that the lamination has to be the same thickness as the kerf. I am using a Dewalt thin kerf 7 1/2" circular saw blade. I was lucky and had some veneer scraps and found they fit the saw kerf on my pen blank crosscut sled so I have not had to measure yet.

I use a dewalt 36 tooth CS blade myself also.

Randy_

Jim: I'm wondering about the angle that you cut the blank. Obviously it is not the traditional 45° angle that has been used in most of the pictures that have been posted to date. Thanks.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Jim: I'm wondering about the angle that you cut the blank. Obviously it is not the traditional 45° angle that has been used in most of the pictures that have been posted to date. Thanks.

I think I used my sled that is for the 5 pointed star which would be 18 degrees. I'll check and let you know.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />Where are you guys getting your pickguard materials?

Thanks,

Fangar

I would never sink to the level of using artificial materials in a pen.
(In other words I've never had the opportunity to buy some[:eek:)]) I used black dyed and holly veneer.

Fangar

Sorry Jim. That's right. I remember reading that. I found a place where you can get a 12"x20" sheet for about 10.50. Not sure if that is the best price yet.

Fangar

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Fangar
<br />Where are you guys getting your pickguard materials?
A lot of folks get pick guard at www.grizzly.com. I get mine from http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_pickguards_main

http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickgaurds_g_material

Randy_

Originally posted by Jim Boyd<br />I think I used my sled that is for the 5 pointed star which would be 18 degrees. I'll check and let you know.

Didn't mention it in my earlier post; but I like the resultant form much more than the ones that are cut at 45° !!

BTW, in my days as a sailor, I learned to tie a decorative knot that looks very similar to yours. In the nautical community it was called a Turks Head. It was not purely a decorative knot, however. When tied around a small spherical piece metal, it was used as a weight on the end of a throwing line. In the old days, the weight was probably a piece of cannon shot???

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Jim: I'm wondering about the angle that you cut the blank. Obviously it is not the traditional 45° angle that has been used in most of the pictures that have been posted to date. Thanks.

I think I used my sled that is for the 5 pointed star which would be 18 degrees. I'll check and let you know.

Well looking at the pen and my selection of sleds it looks to be my 22.5 degree sled.

Murphy

Jim, that pen is beautiful. I followed the link and made two today.
My question is how do you stop bleed when sanding. Mine looked a little mucky when I was finished.
Dale

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Murphy
<br />Jim, that pen is beautiful. I followed the link and made two today.
My question is how do you stop bleed when sanding. Mine looked a little mucky when I was finished.
Dale
Pure dumb luck! I used ca to glue the laminates and I thick I used so much it soaked through the veneer and effectively sealed it up. Either that or the veneer I used doesn't bleed. But it was not anything I set out to prevent[:p]

Murphy

Jim, one more question about cutting the blank. I have been using my band saw and it is pretty thin so I can only glue one thickness of veneer into it. If you do it on the table saw like in your link, how on earth do you hold on to it when pushing it through?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
<br />Jim, one more question about cutting the blank. I have been using my band saw and it is pretty thin so I can only glue one thickness of veneer into it. If you do it on the table saw like in your link, how on earth do you hold on to it when pushing it through?

Hey wait a minute! Are you that Murphy that keeps showing up in people's shops?! [:D][:D][:D]

Jim Boyd

<br />Jim, one more question about cutting the blank. I have been using my band saw and it is pretty thin so I can only glue one thickness of veneer into it. If you do it on the table saw like in your link, how on earth do you hold on to it when pushing it through?
I hold it with my hand. The trick is to cut it from a full blank. Not after cutting the top and bottom sections[;)] If the wood is short, the eraser end of a pencil works well as a holder.

Murphy

Thanks for the tip Jim. Should have thought of that myself. My sons would have said to me "What? Are you new?" (and I am)

And you wdcav1952, what are you talking about? Don't turn around or I might be behind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom