Lace Redwood Burl Is Beautiful, But .........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JustmeinMS

JustmeinMS

I have found Lace Redwood Burl to be a beautiful wood. Especially when a little BLO is applied before the CA. However, I have also found you got to pay close attention to the eyes. Those little boogers will try your patience when it comes to filling them with CA.

I usually apply 3-5 coats of thin CA (depending on how deep the grain of the wood is) to seal it. Then, I apply 3-5 coats of medium CA (until grain is filled). However, I lost track on how many coats I used on this LRB. I even placed CA directly in one of the eyes and still had to repeat it before equalizing the CA level with a final coat of med CA.

I made this Bolt Action pen as a thank you gift for the young man that helped me run my pen booth last weekend for my first crafts festival and will also be helping me in August for the big craft show (i was juried in!) Pic was done speedily with the Scott brand opal colored background. :biggrin:

CNC is always welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 284
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I am gonna bet you'll be having a lot of folks volunteering to help thinking they might also be able to score a nicely made pen! One lucky person to be receiving this one!!!

Scott (pretty day to cut some wood) B

Top Bottom